Built B18C 9.01 comp- Diagnosis- Revs die

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

Hi i have just swapped my b16a2 for a built 9.01 b18C4 for boost. I have kept my P30 that fuelled the B16.I have also installed a BBK intake manifold and a STR 70mm TB. After a few issues we fired the motor and its reading 180 180 180 180. I checked the plugs they re running rich?
Now i kept the motor started for a few hours and drove home from the garage. The car is Idleing at 1500 rpm and as soon as i tap the accelerator the revs die and the car switches off.
What could it be the engine?? TB?? Intake manifold?? ECU.
Your help would be apprecaited

Note i ditched the device on the TB that warms the TB up(dunno what its called) and the fuel vapour line thingy to the TB is disconnected(no space on TB for it)

Originally posted by bvtec@Sep 9 2005, 03:57 PM
Hi i have just swapped my b16a2 for a built 9.01 b18C4 for boost. I have kept my P30 that fuelled the B16.I have also installed a BBK intake manifold and a STR 70mm TB. After a few issues we fired the motor and its reading 180 180 180 180. I checked the plugs they re running rich?
Now i kept the motor started for a few hours and drove home from the garage. The car is Idleing at 1500 rpm and as soon as i tap the accelerator the revs die and the car switches off.
What could it be the engine?? TB?? Intake manifold?? ECU.
Your help would be apprecaited

Note i ditched the device on the TB that warms the TB up(dunno what its called) and the fuel vapour line thingy to the TB is disconnected(no space on TB for it)
[post=552034]Quoted post[/post]​

Throwing any codes?
Map sensor maybe?? Have you checked your vacuum? Timing?

Its hard to say, need more info.

Throwing any codes?
Map sensor maybe?? Have you checked your vacuum? Timing?

Its hard to say, need more info.

Its not throwing any codes at all, engine management light is NOT on.
It doesnt even idle now it just dies off as soon as i start the car i have to rev it to get fired up, its also smelling rich, which is weird considering im using a B16-P30 to fuel a B18??

You mentioned timing what timing do refer to the came/timing bet or the dizzy?

Check your timing marks, and make sure everything lines up just right, then time it with a timing light. If you don't know how, go pick up a chilton manual. Its ALOT of wisdom for $15.00. Great investment.

**EDIT**
also, check your spark plug gap.. The b-series are pretty picky about the size of the gap.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 10 2005, 05:28 PM
Check your timing marks, and make sure everything lines up just right, then time it with a timing light. If you don't know how, go pick up a chilton manual. Its ALOT of wisdom for $15.00. Great investment.

**EDIT**
also, check your spark plug gap.. The b-series are pretty picky about the size of the gap.
[post=552316]Quoted post[/post]​

Would Cam timing cause the above charecteristics( dying idle/running rich). Thanks very much for your replies ive been extremely worried and your replies help :D
I checked the vacuum leads on the intake mani they are all on i also checked the inatke gaskets i sealed them tight cant be that. local ppl are all pointing me to inatke mani tho
the timing is a possiblity, how about...
1. i used B16 map sensor/tps on a STR b18 TB??
2. my exhaust mani has a crack?

Originally posted by 97CTR@Sep 11 2005, 05:34 PM
did you set your TPS or just slap it on there?
[post=552651]Quoted post[/post]​

what do i need to setup on the TPS?? I
cant remember properley but i think there was an O-ring and a sort of a spring that i installed.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 12 2005, 11:49 AM
Click here and look toward the bottom to calibrate your tps...

It should work fine with your motor..

Also, I noticed you said you prepped your engine for boost.. Did you put high flow injectors in there?? They could be spraying too much fuel. Just a thought.
[post=552924]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the info. i setup my TPS when i first installed it on my TB. The running rich prob i think is sorted i have a crack in the EXH that was giving a fuel smell out..i havent installed the 750cc injectors yet.#

Now its just the idling i have to get sorted. Its pissing me off... could a bent valve cause this?

Back