BUILT ls/vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bjfisher

ok guys, i need help building a complete ls/vtec, which parts would you go with.... i need help with the following.....keep in mind this motor will be turboed later NOT N/A.......

which...

pistons
rods
cams
cam gears
retainers
valve springs
sleeves
injectors
throttle body
fuel rail
tranny

i think thats it......any suggestions or setups would be great, keep in mind, i cant afford the best of everything, and this is also for a drag car.....

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 12 2004, 08:18 PM
search feature ownz joo.

read the ls/vtec faq.
[post=401877]Quoted post[/post]​

i have searched, and read.....just looking for more specific informations such as brands and links

which faq are you talking aboot

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 12 2004, 08:20 PM
www.c-speedracing.com has a pretty nice over view of a ls vtec build up using usdm itr piston(good budget piston) what are your goals with the car and do you want clutch or cable tranny (what car is this going into )
[post=401878]Quoted post[/post]​

not sure on the tranny, i want lsd eventually, or even welded dif. the car is jus gonna be raced (drag) once everything is complete....would like to see 10s or 11s after turbo and possibly small shot of nitrous

Originally posted by bjfisher@Oct 12 2004, 08:23 PM

not sure on the tranny, i want lsd eventually, or even welded dif. the car is jus gonna be raced (drag) once everything is complete....would like to see 10s or 11s after turbo and possibly small shot of nitrous
[post=401883]Quoted post[/post]​

Ever drive a car with a welded diff? Trust me you do NOT want that lol.

If he's only drag racing it and not running it as a daily driver, a welded differential or solid spool is fine.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 13 2004, 01:47 PM
If he's only drag racing it and not running it as a daily driver, a welded differential or solid spool is fine.
[post=402200]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah i'm not doing that until i'm only racing it, and yes i've driven one with it....my friends h22 turbo hatch....

.....so help me guys, i'd like everyones suggestions on setups and parts/brands

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 13 2004, 03:09 PM
well if your eventually going turbo are you going to build the motor for boost??? go to www.importbuilders.com use every thing they sell it works its cost effective and the owner will cut you a deal if you buy a good amount of stuff
[post=402233]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the link, i'll check it out.....i'm still looking for what companies make good parts, and what parts will work best together....

as for the turbo, yes as part of my ls/vtec build up i will also be doing everything needed to handle boost

Originally posted by Blanco@Oct 13 2004, 09:09 PM
What's your budget? Do you want aftermarket or OEM?

I'd say, in my limited capacity:

pistons = USDM ITR or Wiseco
rods = stock, Golden Eagle, Crower
cams = GSR, Crower
cam gears = pretty much anything with 5+ bolts
retainers = ITR, Crower
valve springs = ITR, Crower
sleeves = Golden Eagle
injectors = RC440, don't know
throttle body = I'd use an ITR, but I don't know much about F/I
fuel rail = AEM
tranny = cable/B16, Hydro/GSR
Intake Manifold = JDM ITR, Skunk2
[post=402370]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, i'm not sure aftermarket or oem, whatever works well together, doesnt have to be one or the other.

what size pistons are recommended for running boost?i know the compression needs lowered...

if u run stock pistons for a lower comp. just remember you should make the valve reliefs bigger, b/c theres a chance at contact. check out honda tuning for more info. its their 13 seconds on 10k project.

just modify ur pistons, its not hard 2 do and then u know they wont touch. the little amount of work required is worth the piece of mind. take the advice from me. i have an ls/vtec, im building another, and i have helped build other ones. and to be honest its alot easier just to use vtec pistons, but it depends on how much boost u wanna run.

Back