Built the kiddos some bunk beds!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I really need you to show to my house two weeks before the NE meet.....and let you loose on the patio....

I went a tad over budget on it.. Told Mrs. Phyre it'd be done for $200. Spent $400. Still not bad. And its bomb proof. Upper walls are 1/3 inch 3 layer pine ply laminated with 13/16 8 layer birch ply. Pine 2x4 framed. Lower walls are 1/3" pine laminated with 1/2" pine. Pine trimmed.. That trim was a bastard, the pointy bits took 8 angle cuts per stick, then 4 more for the side pieces, then sanding, shaping, etc.. Door trim was the same way, started with square stock. Window trim is cut from one piece 13/16 birch ply. Whole thing is held together with a $25 box (5 pounds) of 3" deck screws and painted with good quality outdoor paint. (And a bajillion 2.5" pneumatic nails that I used to tack it together before the screws) I'm giggle happy with it. Wish I had room in my bedroom to do a california king bunk bed castle. I'd do it in a heartbeat..

awesome man, that looks good. i probably would have made them a bit bigger though, maybe like twin size, might grow out of hem rather quick.

badass man!!! :thumbsup:

looks like theres enough room for a small shelf where the bed are so they kids can put toys or whatever on.

The towers have "secret storage" built into them. Going to install an upper shelf inside when I do the inset lighting for the bottom..:D

awesome man, that looks good. i probably would have made them a bit bigger though, maybe like twin size, might grow out of hem rather quick.

The frame is built for twins. I purchased and installed the upper mattress today, Ordered another for the bottom. Should be here next week.

That's pretty sweet. So your daughter and son are ok in the same room? How old are they?

4 and 6. We own a 2 bedroom house right now, but we are house shopping and will be buying as soon as we're debt free.. Next year probably.

Gotcha. Just curious about the sleeping situation- we'd have to bunk our second with the first whenever he/she decides to come around, and we definitely can't afford a larger house right now. I showed this thread to Katie- she thought the bunk bed was pretty cool! I guessed the ages dead on too. ;)

Yeah at 4 and 6 they'll be fine for a few more years at least.

Project turned out great. Very well done.

I dig it. Big time. But....

I hope you don't move too soon. Could be tough to remove from the room. :)

when they outgrow it...turn it into a Man-cave bar.

Liqueur shelves on the top, a mini fridge in that door, and two kegerators out the windows...

Yeah at 4 and 6 they'll be fine for a few more years at least.

Cool. Gives me a few more years before burning more money on a larger house if the second one turns out to be a girl...

yeah hes right kids do grow fast................fuck it tear it down and make it 3 times bigger thats always the way to do it

and funny stories on how you got that scar later on in life.

do you know much pussy your kid would get if he takes that to college?

hahaha:lol: Just think of all the pickup lines you could use

Awesome job phyre! You should build a custom hot tub moat around the thing.

Back