burning oil b18a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redlineracer999

I just rebuilt a b18a1 and is fouling the plug on #1 and smoking pretty bad. If its a piston ring would the smoke go away after pulling a hill and wot because it does. If its a valve seal could it act like a piston ring and smoke everytime i accelerate? i know i had trouble installing the valve seals and could've ripped one possibly. after parking the car i pulled the plugs and i can see oil sitting on the piston.

If the smoking occurs under acceleration, it is likely the piston rings.
If it occurs under deceleration, it is likely the valve seals.

Did you install new piston rings during the rebuild?

How many miles have you put on the car since the rebuild? There's a slight possibility that the rings have not fully seated on that cylinder.

I've put 120 and pulled a steep grade at wot. That is what I originally thought too. But the other 3 cylinders are burning clean. Are there any tests I can do?

so heres what i found when i let the motor stop the car it smokes more when i take off then when i stop with the brakes. So i'm leaning torwards a valve seal. Another question though it looks like it is leaking oil from the head gasket area right above where the engine stamp is. Are there any oil gallies in that area? I'm also getting oil on my windshield in spatters on the passenger side. the guy i bought the car from tried to boost 20 psi on a fmu hence the rebuilt motor. Can this mess up any sensors mainly the iacv sensor?

If the car is spraying oil all over the windshield, you have a major problem.

The headgasket is a possibility. Id do a compression test. Verify that cylinder #1 is the only cylinder with problems. Did you have the cylinder head checked while the engine was apart? How about the block? A common occurance on turbocharged engines is for the sleeves to "sink" in the engine block. It was happening to mine, so i had it milled last time the engine was out.

Back