Burning oil inconsistently

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I was just wondering if the following behavior was characteristic of one kind of oil burning as opposed to others(valve stem seals, piston rings, etc.) My car seems to burn oil in large clouds. Randomly and infrequently. It's usually after I just stopped at a red light and am accellerating again. In first gear it will let out a large cloud and then be done. It doesnt really burn much after that, if at all, that I can see. I seem to burn about a quart every 1.5k. This is after I quelled one leak that was losing me 3 quarts every 1k.

i'd say go for a swap, but if funds are null in void, i'd suggest swaping out the head for now. but i'm pretty sure its your seals.

Its a d15. I was planning on swapping, but if it works, I have no need to replace it since it is a delivery car. I have another car for leisure at the moment. Are the seals just to difficult or expensive to replace for it to be worthwhile?

It's not even that it's hard, but those heads aren't worth anything and not worth rebuilding. If you're willing to put money into it, put money into it in a better way like a z6 head, which should give you anywhere from around 10 to 20 hp. Then if you feel it's necassary, rebuild that one.

I've had 3 hatches, I sold what I could from the "d" and junked the hunks of metal that sat in the engine bay.

its the seals for sure.... i had a civic that did the samething i replaced the seals and it did not happen again

Back