1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning oil inconsistently

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

I was just wondering if the following behavior was characteristic of one kind of oil burning as opposed to others(valve stem seals, piston rings, etc.) My car seems to burn oil in large clouds. Randomly and infrequently. It's usually after I just stopped at a red light and am accellerating again. In first gear it will let out a large cloud and then be done. It doesnt really burn much after that, if at all, that I can see. I seem to burn about a quart every 1.5k. This is after I quelled one leak that was losing me 3 quarts every 1k.

2. lsvteccrx

lsvteccrx Senior Member

sounds like its valve seals to me.

3. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

what engine is it?

If it's a d, get another one or go with a swap.

Sounds liek a seal to me as well.

4. jdmracer

jdmracer Member

im with them its def the seals, time to swap lol

5. jdmracer

jdmracer Member

oh yeh, just do a compression test to check if ur rings are good then ull know for sure

6. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

i'd say go for a swap, but if funds are null in void, i'd suggest swaping out the head for now. but i'm pretty sure its your seals.

7. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Its a d15. I was planning on swapping, but if it works, I have no need to replace it since it is a delivery car. I have another car for leisure at the moment. Are the seals just to difficult or expensive to replace for it to be worthwhile?

8. jdmracer

jdmracer Member

working on ur head is always tricky man its a whole lot easier to just buy a new head and swap it on.

9. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

It's not even that it's hard, but those heads aren't worth anything and not worth rebuilding. If you're willing to put money into it, put money into it in a better way like a z6 head, which should give you anywhere from around 10 to 20 hp. Then if you feel it's necassary, rebuild that one.

I've had 3 hatches, I sold what I could from the "d" and junked the hunks of metal that sat in the engine bay.

10. formby

formby learning in progress

its the seals for sure.... i had a civic that did the samething i replaced the seals and it did not happen again

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted