Burning oil under load/heavy accel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scoob8000

94 Civic, 1.5 D15B7, Auto Trans, 218k miles

I havn't had this car too long, but I'm caught up on maintenance.

I've been noticing blue smoke under heavyish acceleration. Even if I baby it, I seem to go thru about a quart every 150-200 miles.

Compression test comes up with 180psi across all 4 cylinders. Plugs look okay, no signs of carbon buildup.

Changed PCV valve the other day, it was soaking wet with oil. That much has got me wondering.

I just did the head gasket a couple hundred miles ago. Using the MLS gasket and new bolts. Also had the head checked out/shaved and installed new valve stem seals. I didn't have the car long enough to know how much I was burning before doing the gasket.

Is this typical for this high mile of a motor, I don't have a problem keeping an eye on it. I just don't want to get surprised by it blowing up one day.. :)

Yes its typical for high mileage cars. It could be the rings gettin shot or even the valve seals.

Yes its typical for high mileage cars. It could be the rings gettin shot or even the valve seals.

You know, when I was checking with machine shops one guy actually said he wouldn't recommend doing the valve seals. Said sometimes with high mile motors, they'll start burning oil.

So is the oil leaking past the seals (on the intake side I guess)?

I guess I'll just keep an eye on the oil level, and keep my eyes open for a lower mile motor..

If the valve stem seals are gone it burns oil under deceleration when high vacuum sucks the oil past the seals,as it is under heavy load that it smokes its probably rings, your compression can still be good but if the oil control rings are shot it will still suck oil past the the compression rings even if compression appears good.

If the valve stem seals are gone it burns oil under deceleration when high vacuum sucks the oil past the seals,as it is under heavy load that it smokes its probably rings, your compression can still be good but if the oil control rings are shot it will still suck oil past the the compression rings even if compression appears good.

Thank you! I've been searching and posted the same question on a few forums, and this is the best answer I've seen!

And I couldn't wrap my head around how it could be the rings and still have good compression. This makes me want to think a heavier oil (10w40 perhaps in the hot summer) would help? Essentially all that no smoke (motor honey) does is thicken up the oil I suppose.

Just for sh1175 and giggles I plumbed an water/oil seperator between the PCV and intake mani. We'll see what collects there. After 40 miles I have a little puddle in the jar.

I have the exact same car, does the exact same thing, I just drive it until the oil light flickers going around a corner, then dump 4qts of old oil in it. :D

I have the exact same car, does the exact same thing, I just drive it until the oil light flickers going around a corner, then dump 4qts of old oil in it. :D

The oil light doesnt come on until your down to 1 quart? :)

Im not really worried about it, Im waiting for the day it pukes a rod through the side of the block.

Back