Burning Oil, What Wrong? Help Fast

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i did a mini-me head swap on my d15b7 in my sol and it was running fine and a month after the swap my car was in an accident, i fixed my car but it was sitting for about a month and a half and now it is burning oil. whats wrong, someone on Honda-Tech said it is probly seals but didnt tell me what seals, it was a brand new head gasket (installed when the head was installed about 2-3 monthes ago) so what could be wrong? PLEASE HELP ME FAST

Can you be any less informative?

Have you done a compression test? When is it burning oil, just off of idle and when you start it, or just at high RPM?

when i start it up it runs fine, when i drive it normally there is a little stream of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and when i get on the gas there is a BIG stream of smoke, big enough that i can see it in my rear view mirror. i took my headers off and there is oil around the gasket.

oh, and i did a compression test and it is 200 across all four.

Hi,

A compression test will tell you a lot about the shape the engine is in.

i did a compression test, it's 200 across all four, now whats wrong?
and my car wasnt burning oil before i got in the accident. (no front end damage, all the damage was to the roof)

The valve seals would be the first place I'd look...one of the seals could be bad and oil dripping onto ur piston to make it smoke...then I'd check the head gasket maybe it wasnt placed on correctly or is just bad, then I'd check the intake manifold seal...Hope I was of some help

whould a loos head bold cause this to happen, wile waiting for a reply i started taking my head off and the head bolt right infront of the vtec solioid was loos, and i mean loos like i could turn it with my fingers. the rest of the bolts were tightend to the right specs.

Originally posted by teamkawy55@Jun 1 2003, 05:16 PM
The valve seals would be the first place I'd look...one of the seals could be bad and oil dripping onto ur piston to make it smoke...then I'd check the head gasket maybe it wasnt placed on correctly or is just bad, then I'd check the intake manifold seal...Hope I was of some help

where are the valve seals? intake manifold gasket and head gasket are brand new.

It is most likely not the valve seals. If they were bad it would smoke when you started it up and when you come off of idle, but it would smkoe less at high RPM. I bet your rings are bad. These symptoms are the same that my engine had when the rings went. Mine smoked very little if any at idle and low RPM/low throttle, the smoke increased with RPM until at ~7000 it was pouring out.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 1 2003, 05:44 PM
It is most likely not the valve seals. If they were bad it would smoke when you started it up and when you come off of idle, but it would smkoe less at high RPM. I bet your rings are bad. These symptoms are the same that my engine had when the rings went. Mine smoked very little if any at idle and low RPM/low throttle, the smoke increased with RPM until at ~7000 it was pouring out.

If i take the head off is there anyway i can look at the pistons and tell if the rings are bad?

u can install a head gasket right and not work every now and again they just dont seal right. did u have both head dowls on so the gasket lined up right? just a thought. other than that it very well could be valve guides if the compression was fine then thats where I'd look did u say u hade oil on your spark plugs if u did then it is usually a head gasket or rings. Alot of times there wont be enough oil to foul the plugs but can leave a rooster tail of smoke from bad guides. u said that u did the head then the car crashed the crash probably didn't cause a thing but could have made u look harder and start noticing something u did't before. mind games. other wise just keep driving it and maby u will break something and that is usually pretty cool too. :rolleyes:

you should get that berrymans oil for lost compression and piston rings..or whatever that stuff is called..cuz when my supras rings were goin out it started smokin so i put a can of that shit in and the smoking stopped...

Guys, it's blue smoke from oil... you get white smoke from water or coolant... you said you have a loose head bolt? I bet 10 to one, coolant is getting into the combustion chamber... check the compression on the cylinder next to the loose head bolt... how many cranks were necessary to bring it up to correct compression? if one cylinder takes one or two more than usual then that is probably the culprit. Looks like new head bolts (arp head studs are great, you can reuse them over and over again) and a new head gasket is in order.

Originally posted by junhondasi@Jun 1 2003, 08:22 PM
u can install a head gasket right and not work every now and again they just dont seal right. did u have both head dowls on so the gasket lined up right? just a thought. other than that it very well could be valve guides if the compression was fine then thats where I'd look did u say u hade oil on your spark plugs if u did then it is usually a head gasket or rings. Alot of times there wont be enough oil to foul the plugs but can leave a rooster tail of smoke from bad guides. u said that u did the head then the car crashed the crash probably didn't cause a thing but could have made u look harder and start noticing something u did't before. mind games. other wise just keep driving it and maby u will break something and that is usually pretty cool too. :rolleyes:

i was driving the car with the new head for about 2 months before it wrecked. it wasnt burning anything before, i made shure before the warranty on the head ran up.

Back