Burning Oil When Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was just wondering what do you guys think it could be, almost everytime i hit vtec you see blue smoke come out of my exhaust. I did a leakdown test on the motor and foudn it 6% leakdown. I also did a compression test on the motor and was pretty good. Do you guys think its the valve seals? If it is, how hard of a job is it to change the seals. The motor is a d16z6 sohc vtec.

if it's burning blue I think it's the valve seals..I think you should get a mechanic to change them ...

Sounds like it could be the lower rings of the pistons.
Pistons have three rings, the first two are for compression, if these were faulty the comp test would have shown it. The bottom rings are used to sweep the oil off the cylinder walls, if these are bad then oil stays in the compression chamber and you will have blue smoke on hard acceleration.
To change these rings is a BIG job involving the remopval of the head an a bottom emd strip down.
A good test for the value sela would be to accelerate to about 6000rpm, let the engine slow itself down to about 2500rpm then hit the accelerator; if these is loads of smoke from the exhaust, then your valve seals are probably dead.
Good luck dude.

Back