Burning oil?!?!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC>ALL

I have a 96 Civic EX that is using some oil up. I just bought the car and installed 2 new exhaust valves (they were burnt), new head gasket, timing belt, intake mani gasket, PCV valve and valve cover gasket. The bores in the motor looked good too. Under normal driving conditions and when i start it, it doesnt put out any smoke, but when i get to about 5000-5500 RPMS it start pushing a lot of blue/gray smoke out. Where else could it be coming from?

might be piston rings...id run a compression test.

I thought piston rings and valve guides but I would think there would be some smoke at start up and when I start to accelerate under normal conditions, but here isn't. There is only smoke when it hits 5500 RPMs.

is the smoke definitely coming out of your exhaust or are you just seeing it behind you when you're driving.

The reason i ask is that it might be your vtec solenoid leaking (since its only above 5500 rpms). Id still recommend the compression check unless you see the oil leaking from the solenoid/head.

Im thinking it might be the gasket between the head and vtec solenoid becuase i never replaced that gasket when i tore it apart

mine does the same thing (d16z6) and i had it comp tested 156 per cilinder (good bad?? dont know) but i herd that almost all of them do it as soon as the vtec kicks for some odd reason ...but if u find out the problem post it and il try wut you tried

How could the reat main seal be burning the oil. Thats understadable for a leak but not burning it as far as I know.

rear main seal
WTF? rear main? LOL!!! you cant be serious , rear main would ONLY make it leak oil! not blow smoke, dude it is your piston rings !, were the cylinder bores smooth or crosshatched? approx a 50 - 60 deg angle.... also with you replacing the 2 valves it probably has built up the upper end compression too high , now the piston rings cant handle the pressure, lucky for you, the rings are easy to change...., good luck man

yeah the bores looked good when i went through it all but i would also think there would be some kind of smoke when i start to accelerate too. Im going to do my comp test today then see where that takes me.

WTF? rear main? LOL!!! you cant be serious , rear main would ONLY make it leak oil! not blow smoke, dude it is your piston rings !, were the cylinder bores smooth or crosshatched? approx a 50 - 60 deg angle.... also with you replacing the 2 valves it probably has built up the upper end compression too high , now the piston rings cant handle the pressure, lucky for you, the rings are easy to change...., good luck man

I was being a smartass, douche. reikoshea is right its only happeneing when hes crossing over in to vtec, if the ring were shot it would be smoking at a lower rpm

mine does the same thing (d16z6) and i had it comp tested 156 per cilinder (good bad?? dont know) but i herd that almost all of them do it as soon as the vtec kicks for some odd reason ...but if u find out the problem post it and il try wut you tried

they say 180's or so for compression

It should still run fine and burn very very little oil with 156 though.

I was being a smartass, douche. reikoshea is right its only happeneing when hes crossing over in to vtec, if the ring were shot it would be smoking at a lower rpm
not true, i have seen them smoke at hi and low rpm DOUCHEBAG, ,
my buddy runs a b16a2 and when he crosses into vtec it smokes too,,a nd guess what genius it was the rings....i have built alot of fuckin engines, maybe not HONDA'S , but i have seen it more then you can imagine.. still dont quite understand why you would be a smartass to someone with a valid question...the dude was asking for advice.

Vavle seals could be to blame too. My B18A1 I had in my EF did the same thing, had a slightly bent valve and would smoke alittle when you romped on it, paid $500 for the whole swap, it scattered later though so it wasnt a big deal.

Vavle seals could be to blame too. My B18A1 I had in my EF did the same thing, had a slightly bent valve and would smoke alittle when you romped on it, paid $500 for the whole swap, it scattered later though so it wasnt a big deal.

yes true,also carbon on the valves ,, that will make them not seal right,, eventually burn a valve

yea men it ken be your vtec solenoid ma friend ma frind has a b18 block with a b16 head and it dose that evry single time it hits the vtec and ma other frind has a d16 and it dos the same thing wen the vtec hits and its normal on all vtec engines cus the gasket worns out

Back