burning oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When i sometimes hit vtec i see blue smoke comming from the exhaust. I know blue smoke is oil. The problem is i don't know where it;s comming from. I did a leakdown test on the engine and it's at 4%. I also did a compressing test and it's in between 150 to 160 across. I inspected the plugs and it's clean and burning normal. I inspected the 02 sensor and also no sign of oil. There are no oil leaks. So where could the oil be comming from? Some people said it's the oil control rings. If it's the rings shouln't i see oil from the plugs? Only burns oil at high rpms at wot.

1.) Piston rings
2.) Valve seals

You have the rings taken care of with the compression test. Not sure what a leakdown test is but check the valve seals to see if they are still good. Good luck.

I don't know the most about VTEC but isn't more oil sent to the rockers and stuff whenever it activates? Maybe if you said that it happens only at VTEC then there is something to do with that.

Get a leakdown test if possible. Possibly you make want to spray some carb cleaner in the cylinders prior to a compression test. In my old fouled motor a crust of oil would seal the rings until WOT and then it was back to the blue smoke. Try the carb cleaner or WOT the hell out of it for a bit.

did a leakdown test on it and it's only about 4% on every cylinder which is good. I will try spraying carb cleaner on the cylinder prior to compression test. Oil would only burn at wot around 6000 rpm which is vtec. also shoultn't i see oil on the plugs if its the rings?

:werd: So important, so cheap. Don't spray carb cleaner on your cyl. before a compression test. All that will do is wash the oil from your cyl. and give you a shitty reading due to lost seal. Just make sure the car is hot and the fuel pump fuse is pulled and and distributor inactive. A leakdown test and a compression test cover rings, valves and seals...you've covered all of your bases. You're leakdown numbers are great and your compression is only a tad low. Uniform compression is vastly more important than being 10 or 20 psi low. Honda motors tend to bell out at the very top of the cylinder as they age. In the highest revs, the rods stretch slightly and the piston is at it's highest and most deformed point of the cylinder, letting a little oil by. This is not terribly uncommon. If your oil consumption is only a small amount I wouldn't sweat it. Check that PCV valve, you should be able to hear the little ball rattle. Hell, put on a new one anyway, they are only a few bucks and it takes a whopping 30 seconds.

Originally posted by BrahmaBullSQ@Feb 2 2004, 06:45 AM
1.) Piston rings
2.) Valve seals

You have the rings taken care of with the compression test. Not sure what a leakdown test is but check the valve seals to see if they are still good. Good luck.

:withstupid:

Back