1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush and POW's

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by reckedracing, Jul 11, 2006.

1. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

well it only took 3 years and a supreme court ruling to get the bush admin to treat prisoners of war as POW's...

wtf

U.S. will give detainees Geneva rights - Yahoo! News

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

It took 3 years of WAITING for the supreme court ruling to change it. Not "3 years plus the supreme court"

We had no idea what to do with Enemy Combatants (Today is the first day they are being called POW) because we had never faced a war like this one. We are getting smarter, and more refined.

For some reason, you're turning this bit of good Bush news into something bad. But I'm glad you found a reason to hate him today.

On a brief opinion, You should actually take a look at how quickly Bush agreed with the courts. Were this any other country, like Mexico, France, Spain or Italy - their leaders would have attempted to fight this. Bush didn't. He let the process take control. I'm not sure anyone will ever acknowledge this facet.

Also, taking it to an extreme, instead of France, Spain or Italy I want you to think of what the leader of a Muslim country would have done. Had the courts hanged and their families seized. Then they would have justified their very personal agenda by saying that Allah willed it so.

I love America, I think Bush is a great president. And I welcome an attempt to fight me on it.

-> Steve

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Bush and co didn't want them classified as POW's because then they would be subject to the terms set forth by the Geneva Convention...

have you seen his approval ratings?
    have you noticed people in his own party turning against him?
    if i were in his position i too would accept what the court said and not try to fight it...
    this should have never been an issue that needed to be decided by the supreme court... people captured during a war are fucking POW's not enemy combatants, and they should have been treated properly regardless of their "official classification"

4. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Good thing the people we are fighting play by the same rules. You know with all the cutting peoples heads off and publicly brutilizing dead soilders and civilians. But we arnt like them, we hold our selves to a higher standered. I think the reason why it took so long for the court to decide was they where not sure if this is really a war or a "police action". Look at vietnam that wasnt a war....

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

bush didn't fight it because he just doesn't care. his heart is in oil land, not cigar land.

6. Celerity

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

8. Celerity

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted