Bush and POW's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
The Bush administration said Tuesday that all detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and in all other U.S. military custody around the world are entitled to protections under the Geneva Conventions.
The policy, described in a memo by Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England, appears to reverse the administration's earlier insistence that the detainees are not prisoners of war and thus subject to the Geneva protections.
well it only took 3 years and a supreme court ruling to get the bush admin to treat prisoners of war as POW's...

wtf

U.S. will give detainees Geneva rights - Yahoo! News

It took 3 years of WAITING for the supreme court ruling to change it. Not "3 years plus the supreme court"

We had no idea what to do with Enemy Combatants (Today is the first day they are being called POW) because we had never faced a war like this one. We are getting smarter, and more refined.

For some reason, you're turning this bit of good Bush news into something bad. But I'm glad you found a reason to hate him today.

On a brief opinion, You should actually take a look at how quickly Bush agreed with the courts. Were this any other country, like Mexico, France, Spain or Italy - their leaders would have attempted to fight this. Bush didn't. He let the process take control. I'm not sure anyone will ever acknowledge this facet.

Also, taking it to an extreme, instead of France, Spain or Italy I want you to think of what the leader of a Muslim country would have done. Had the courts hanged and their families seized. Then they would have justified their very personal agenda by saying that Allah willed it so.

I love America, I think Bush is a great president. And I welcome an attempt to fight me on it.

-> Steve

Bush and co didn't want them classified as POW's because then they would be subject to the terms set forth by the Geneva Convention...

On a brief opinion, You should actually take a look at how quickly Bush agreed with the courts. Were this any other country, like Mexico, France, Spain or Italy - their leaders would have attempted to fight this. Bush didn't. He let the process take control. I'm not sure anyone will ever acknowledge this facet.
have you seen his approval ratings?
have you noticed people in his own party turning against him?
if i were in his position i too would accept what the court said and not try to fight it...
this should have never been an issue that needed to be decided by the supreme court... people captured during a war are fucking POW's not enemy combatants, and they should have been treated properly regardless of their "official classification"

Good thing the people we are fighting play by the same rules. You know with all the cutting peoples heads off and publicly brutilizing dead soilders and civilians. But we arnt like them, we hold our selves to a higher standered. I think the reason why it took so long for the court to decide was they where not sure if this is really a war or a "police action". Look at vietnam that wasnt a war....

Back