Buy an undercover police car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Alright, I've been looking at subaru 2.5RS's and eclipse gsx/tsi's and havent really been able to find anything decent in my price range in my area but I drove by an unmarked police car for sale the other day.

They only want 3500 for it and I'd try to get it for 3000. I'm not sure of the mileage but its a white crown vic with the big police sidelamp by the mirror, the black steelies/rims that police always have and its painted the same white as all the undercover crown vics.

I was just thinking whether or not I should go for it. I drive a lot and it doesnt get the best gas mileage, but it will get the same mileage as the SUV i'm driving right now and wont have such a damn high center of gravity. Plus the added perk of probably not getting pulled over while driving the car and it should be decent in the snow. Along with those perks are the wanted perk of a nice top end and probably a cushy ride.

Think i should go for it?

definately not

if you want an old cop car go to the police auctions and pick one up for probably under a grand...

and i'm pretty sure the crown vics are rear wheel drive, therefore pretty shitty in the snow...

cop cars are usually maintained fairly well, but they are driven very very hard...
cops misuse the cars on a day to day basis, and thats not considering the chases, and quick U-turns, and flat out acceleration with harsh braking...
plus it will prob be worse than your SUV on gas...

look for something else

One of my friends has an old unmarked Crown Vic cop car, and he's always getting pulled over. The cops mostly ask him what the hell he's doing driving a cop car with civilian plates.

that wouldnt happen to be a black crown vic would it, mike? a while back before I had the fodo running, when I went to the streetraces on Rankin, there was some dude with a black crown vic that was down there a lot.

Want to see something funny.... go to an auction like was previously stated and buy one for under a grand... prolly around 800ish

then spend 3 grand or a little more... on the motor and getting it to lay out about 350-400 ish hp... and then remove the speed gov... hehe... 220 here you come....prolly wouldnt get over 180 mph... but the gearing in them will literally put it up to 220 mph.... the crown vics are gov to 130... that and they arent allowed to follow you past 120.... missouri at least....

it would be a really funny project and would be kind of fun for the snow... they are mostly comfortable...except with the damn handcuffs on... other than that they are ok.... pretty good gas mileage... but ehh.. you decide...

is it the same 4.6 that is in the mustangs??

Originally posted by reckedracing@Nov 2 2004, 12:09 PM

cop cars are usually maintained fairly well, but they are driven very very hard...
and thats not considering the chases, and quick U-turns, and flat out acceleration with harsh braking...
plus it will prob be worse than your SUV on gas...

look for something else
[post=410695]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha sounds like a lot of our cars on here, well maintained but driven hard. . .

this kid in my town has a father that is some big head of who cares but any hoo he drives his dads unmarked dark blue(like staties) with the steelies and he says that a cop car is horrible to buy used because the cops kill them
and quick U-turns, and flat out acceleration with harsh braking...
also i dont know for the rest of you guys but our state troopers have bottles in the back and fry the motors in under 50000 miles and i would thnk that an undercover might aswell or at lease did. but i agree with lookin around a lil bit more. what about an SHO? if you want a ford big body. comfy ride quick lots of potential and have a 5spd model, just a thought

My friend drives a old 95 Caprice cop car. Bad ass as hell. i guess it has some corvette motor and suspension. Thing is fast as hel but still .................................................... :gayflag:

There's 2 badass cop cars here in town...the DPS has a camaro SS, and the local PD has an SVT mustang...

the stang was the cop's before it was his cop car, I used to see him driving it around a few years back before he was a cop...i beleive it has a cam and a bigger pulley in it...sounds fucking NASTY idling next to you at a stoplight...

makes me scared to run from 'em

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 2 2004, 03:15 PM
One of my friends has an old unmarked Crown Vic cop car, and he's always getting pulled over. The cops mostly ask him what the hell he's doing driving a cop car with civilian plates.
[post=410699]Quoted post[/post]​

Its a new crownvic, not an old style one like the exact police interceptor package thats on all the current cars.

The things stopping me from it are locals pulling me over for driving an umarked (but the guy I'd be buying it from is a local cop and I'm friends with a bunch) and the fact that its automatic.

Originally posted by PhyRe@Nov 2 2004, 06:43 PM
this kid in my town has a father that is some big head of who cares but any hoo he drives his dads unmarked dark blue(like staties) with the steelies and he says that a cop car is horrible to buy used because the cops kill them
and quick U-turns, and flat out acceleration with harsh braking...
also i dont know for the rest of you guys but our state troopers have bottles in the back and fry the motors in under 50000 miles and i would thnk that an undercover might aswell or at lease did. but i agree with lookin around a lil bit more. what about an SHO? if you want a ford big body. comfy ride quick lots of potential and have a 5spd model, just a thought
[post=410784]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont want a big boat of a car, unless it may have the appeal of a cop car. :)

The kid in a neighboring town that gets in a lot of trouble, I found out said that he gets pulled over a lot by the locals in my town asking wtf he's doing. Then again he plays with the spot light and pretends to be a cop though.

Back