buying a ls vtec hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kernan240sx

I found a 97 EK hatch with an ls vtec swap for 4800. Car has a gsr tranny and gsr head, i dont know much about hondas but it seems like a good buy. If built right are these swaps pretty reliable? What kind of questions should i ask to find out if it was built right? Thanks.

Im gonna have the car inspected before i buy it, what are good compression numbers? What else should i look for or ask about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

personaly idk compression status. but def get it checked out. was the motor built by a shop or did someone build it themselves.

Were the water and oil pumps replaced? Did they use new bearings (not a deal breaker if the mileage was low)? Are they stock pistons and rings? Anything done to the head?

Test drive. If something seems off, check.

How to check.
1. Check compesson (should all be close numbers aross all 4)
2. Check Oil (see if anything bad is in the oil, check if low)
3. Ask questions. He might be a shade tree type.
4. Start car, with raditor cap off, let warm up, and see if there is bubbles coming out of the raditor. Also, make sure there is no oil in the raditor fluid.

What I have learned over the years, the body poorly maintenanced, the engine poor maintenance.

Problems.
1. Would be Rings
2. Could be alot of things. (if anything shows)
3. See if he is a shady guy, if so, dont buy it.
4. Head gasket

I found a 97 EK hatch with an ls vtec swap for 4800. Car has a gsr tranny and gsr head, i dont know much about hondas but it seems like a good buy. If built right are these swaps pretty reliable? What kind of questions should i ask to find out if it was built right? Thanks.
just remember that a lot of the time, when you by a modified car...odds are its been hot rodded on a bit. take it to you local tuner shop and have them give it a look over.

that was quite a quick purchase. hope ya didnt get jueked. if it was built by someone who knew what they were doin and is reliable then yes it was a good deal. i paid 4600 for my 95 del and i feel like i got ripped off now but u live and learn.

nice clean car, not diggin the exhaust but thats me. if its stock im all for keepin the heat shield on but thats jus my opinion. but nice car all the same

Back