buying engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I have decided to buy an engine swap myself and then either install it, or have a local mechanic install it for me. But I am confused where to buy one...there seem to be several businesses online that ship used engines from Japan, but their prices sound pretty high.

Where is the best place to buy one? I have tried local salvage yards, and the best I have found is a B18b1 for $1800. That is just for the swap, not installed. Also sounded expensive to me!

So, is my only option ordering one online? And if so, which company do you all recommend?

Thanks,
Truoss

Try asking around local shops in your area. Sometimes you can work out a payment plan. Hope that helps! Also try this one. ;)

Where are you located, SLA? Describe your swap! And why don't you put it in your own car that seriously needs a heart translplant? How much for just the swap, no install?

And people, please...where did you all get your engines!!! I need to but one very soon! Thanks!

Truoss

Don't have the money for the swap yet! Would you care to donate some money to the SLA fund? ;)

Oh well at least I tried!

That engine may very well be going to my car but I don't know yet.......

I bought mine off Ebay (don't ask) but I got a great deal on it. $910 plus $275 ?? shipping. It came with everything except ecu.

I have a 92 civic hatch, I did everything by myself (no one wanted to help), total I'd say it cost around $1400-1600. I live in Jersey and I can get b18b1's from salvage/junkyards for 1000.

And what kind of car do you have, cause if it's an EG, rent an engine lift, buy a breaker bar and do it with a couple of friends, I had no trouble at all. Oh and BTW I'm 16 and if I can do it alone you can.

Back