Buying new EF, anything I should watch out for?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

good deal, hope something dont happen to it while she drives it for a few days..lol that would be my luck

GAH! don't jinx it!

I actually wrote up a little terms of deposit that I'm going to have us both sign before I give her the deposit tomorrow afternoon that covers just that scenario though. Basically says that for the next week, she is driving the car, but I stake my claim on it. If she sells it while still holding my deposit I have a right to get it back and that if it gets wrecked or in any way damaged as to depreciate the value. Our price agreement is null and voided and that I have the right to request the deposit back in full or to re-negotiate the sale price.

I also found the standard Georgia automotive bill of sale document that I'm going to have us both sign when I get the title from her and drive it home.

Is there anything special about when she gives the title to me? I was told to make sure she fills out the back of it VERY carefully or they will scrap the title. Is that true?

Oh and here's a picture of it. I finally got around to saving the CL ad photo and I'll take some more exterior shots this weekend.

new%20car%20CL%20pic.jpg

have her sign it as the seller and thats all she needs to do. you can write in the date/sale price and all that. the milage wont be needed as the cars to old, and if you write the sale price as 500 you will only have to pay taxes on 500. (500 is the lowest you can pay for taxes) your state may require a noterized bill of sale also in order to pay the lower taxes.

have her sign it as the seller and thats all she needs to do. you can write in the date/sale price and all that. the milage wont be needed as the cars to old, and if you write the sale price as 500 you will only have to pay taxes on 500. (500 is the lowest you can pay for taxes) your state may require a noterized bill of sale also in order to pay the lower taxes.

Is that even legal to do?

The bill of sale form I found is the official state of GA bill of sale document that I found on the DMV site. How can I find if my state requires it to be notarized?

Is that even legal to do?

no. but it is frequently done.

The bill of sale form I found is the official state of GA bill of sale document that I found on the DMV site. How can I find if my state requires it to be notarized?

it's called google.

:slap:

nice looking car though..if the frame and body look good under all of that fresh paint.

:thumbsup:

From what I could tell I didn't see any obvious frame damage. Previous owner before the chick I got it from worked at one of the major honda dealers in Georgia and was one of the mechanics there so he did a good job on all the work he did to it it seems.

Only minor issue is some superficial rust in the trunk like I mentioned earlier. I ran a relatively weak magnet over the body and found no evidence of substantial bondo work, at least not enough that the magnet didn't stick to any parts that I touched it to. Headlights are lined up. The only evidence that there was ever any damage to it can be found on the front fenders and hood. They are just slightly miss-aligned so the lines around the hood get more and more narrow as you come from the windshield to the bumper, but very very hard to notice.

Nice...Nice lookin EF there.

Not tryin to steal your thread but i bought my ef for $1000. it didnt come with the zc swap. it came with the d16a6 head on an a1 block. Its an si. check it out.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I like the lip and skirts you have on it. Are those the stock Si add-ons or are those something you found aftermarket? If so where can I get some, I've been looking for a lip/skirt set for the new car and haven't had any luck yet.

i think the si comes with the front lip. not to sure. the side skirts are from an ek. just cut about a half a foot off the front to fit. you can get some for like 40 bucks. mine were givin to me for free.

Ok, so been driving it for the past 3 days and here are my initial thoughts on the car.

DAMN IT HANDLES ON RAILS!

that aside however, there are a few issues.

1. Bouncy, suspension is stiff, but it's too bouncy, any thoughts on how to fix that?
  2. Pulls to the right, needs alignment
  3. car shakes when driving faster than 55mph, tire balance needed.
  4. Back right tire is down to the threads, almost, needs new tire.
  5. Went to get it tagged and did not pass emissions, NOx is at 1700, max 1100, probably running too lean, will check timing and plugs today, thinking O2 sensor or timing.
  6. Seats are horrible, no support
  7. 3rd gear syncros aren't working right, shifting from 2nd - 3rd or 4th - 3rd even with the clutch all the way in causes a grinding sound, same thing happens 3rd - 2nd but up shift from 1st to 2nd is fine.

Other than those things though, the thing runs great, starts strong, sounds awesome and is a blast to drive.

Any other suggestions on how to repair some of the issues above?

1. pulls to the right, needs alignment: serious red flag. Something could be bent/damaged. I would take it to a place like discount tire or les scwab to get an inspection.
  2. car shakes when driving faster than 55mph, tire balance needed. see above.
  3. back right tire is down to the threads, almost, needs new tire. could be the suspension. Might need a camber kit.
  4. went to get it tagged and did not pass emissions, nox is at 1700, max 1100, probably running too lean, will check timing and plugs today, thinking o2 sensor or timing.
  5. seats are horrible, no support it's a 20 year old car, what do you expect?
  6. 3rd gear syncros aren't working right, shifting from 2nd - 3rd or 4th - 3rd even with the clutch all the way in causes a grinding sound, same thing happens 3rd - 2nd but up shift from 1st to 2nd is fine. add in the cost of a tranny to the price of the car.

Oh, and PS, I already bought the car so I'm stuck with what I got now. Overall it's not bad, I'm going to have to put a some good $$$ into it to get it back to perfect, but for a 20 year old car with some mods already installed, a sorta ok transmission and an alignment issue doesn't bother me too much...

Thanks for the suggestions!

well, you don't know for sure if it's an alignment. it could be a bent tie rod or lca. get it checked out asap. get a new tire. get that stuff fixed up first.

Ok, so been driving it for the past 3 days and here are my initial thoughts on the car.

DAMN IT HANDLES ON RAILS!

that aside however, there are a few issues.

1. Bouncy, suspension is stiff, but it's too bouncy, any thoughts on how to fix that?
  2. Pulls to the right, needs alignment
  3. car shakes when driving faster than 55mph, tire balance needed.
  4. Back right tire is down to the threads, almost, needs new tire.
  5. Went to get it tagged and did not pass emissions, NOx is at 1700, max 1100, probably running too lean, will check timing and plugs today, thinking O2 sensor or timing.
  6. Seats are horrible, no support
  7. 3rd gear syncros aren't working right, shifting from 2nd - 3rd or 4th - 3rd even with the clutch all the way in causes a grinding sound, same thing happens 3rd - 2nd but up shift from 1st to 2nd is fine.

Other than those things though, the thing runs great, starts strong, sounds awesome and is a blast to drive.

Any other suggestions on how to repair some of the issues above?
1.get new suspension..the struts are most likely blown
2.check tire pressure,traction bar and then say it needs alignment
3.tire pressure,balance,and see if they are out of round
4.might be an old used tire
5.check ignition timing,and run some seafoam through her
6.time for some new seats
7. try to run 2 quarts of syncromesh..ive heard of it eliminating grinds over short period of time..if not..a new trans isnt much(they go for 1-2hundred here)

doesnt seem too bad..congrats

oh and the hood lines getting smaller toard the front are normal im pretty sure for these cars..if not then its probably due to the hood being off for the swap

I picked up my ed hatch for $100 and a set of hx rims w/ good tires...if that helps any. It has minimal rust, and a blown hg...but overall it's pretty clean. Good luck!

Back