1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying used civic, advice plz

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by discord, Jul 21, 2009.

1. discord

discord New Member

Hello,

I was thinking about buying a used civic. I saw this one today but the guy says that it smokes. Is this most likely the head gasket? $1000 seems like a good deal, however is this more trouble than it's worth? I was thinking about trying to replace the head gasket myself. Should I hold out for a car that doesn't smoke? It looks like I can get a similar civic with more miles that doesn't smoke for $2000.

1993 civic lx 4dr auto 107,000 miles clean,

2. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

It isn't nececarily the head gasket. It could be worn piston rings. The easiest way to solve that is to get a new long block. If you have the time, the know-how, and the tools, talk the guy down to $750 and it's a good deal.

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

$1000 is not a good deal for that. you can get a mint running one of the same deal like that for $1000. no one wants 4-doors/autos in the tuner world, so the market isn't there like it is on the hatches/coupes/manual trans cars.

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Depends on where the OP lives.

5. discord

discord New Member

I actually want something like that, but I can't find it for $1000 in good shape. I live in seattle. Thanks for the advice!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted