buying used civic, advice plz

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

discord

Hello,

I was thinking about buying a used civic. I saw this one today but the guy says that it smokes. Is this most likely the head gasket? $1000 seems like a good deal, however is this more trouble than it's worth? I was thinking about trying to replace the head gasket myself. Should I hold out for a car that doesn't smoke? It looks like I can get a similar civic with more miles that doesn't smoke for $2000.

1993 civic lx 4dr auto 107,000 miles clean,

It isn't nececarily the head gasket. It could be worn piston rings. The easiest way to solve that is to get a new long block. If you have the time, the know-how, and the tools, talk the guy down to $750 and it's a good deal.

$1000 is not a good deal for that. you can get a mint running one of the same deal like that for $1000. no one wants 4-doors/autos in the tuner world, so the market isn't there like it is on the hatches/coupes/manual trans cars.

I actually want something like that, but I can't find it for $1000 in good shape. I live in seattle. Thanks for the advice!

Back