C35A1 Swap in Acura legends.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swift

DIY god
I am a frequent member of other forums and completed the 6th known swap of its kind. The engine is a C35 out of a 96-04 RL and with one mount modification and swapping the harness and injectors/coil packs it goes in with ease into a 91-95 ACURA legend. This is a must in place of the less reliable type 1 motor. The type 2....has great topend etc still.

HOWEVER, I swapped this motor mated to my 5spd with type 2 cams swapped into the RL heads. I also did a first ever piston swap of its kind and boosted my compression from 9.6:1 to 10.5:1.

So anybody that has any questions in regards to this or any of the other models such as the TSX,TL,RL,CL and NSX i can probably help ya out no prob.

Sweeeeet. Congratulations on the successful swap! Have you tuned and dyno'd it yet? Why not higher on the compression?

the pistons were swapped...plus i do not want to run race gas lol.

anyways i will be dynoing soon in a few weeks. I am tracking it this coming weekend at the local drag strip also.

I am having a new chip sent to me and then i am ordering an apexi neo at the end of the month

I see you have an S2000....i have been trying to compare cam specs to suit my engine better based off of that car because of its high compression

Ah, 10.5 isn't high at all. The Celica GT-S was sold in the US with 11.5:1 compression, and that still leaves room for error or a bad tank of gas. I ran 12.6:1 compression on a shitty tune and 92 octane- you can easily run 12:1 on small cams with 91 octane, or higher compression with bigger cams.

omg...kidding me right...the fricking celica GT-S had that high of compression!!

wowzer.

well the main thing with our car is tuning. always has been with them. Our honda ECU is unlike any other out there it seems. WE just got into chipping last year and had a few pro's looking into etc who had done numerous chips for civics, accords, etc and they said our ECU is way more complex. Anyways...now that it has been figured out my friend is datalogging his engine which is similiar to mine to create a new one. Then i will do a final tune with a NEO.

yeah 10.5:1 isnt all that high anymore by todays standards but high enough for me and all i could do with the only pistons that could swap.

:thumbsup:

I honestly don't think any particular engine will be trickier to tune than another once you have your method down.

update

my engine is at around 5 thousand miles and is going strong without tuning. I have found out i was running very lean at 4krpms+ and was detonating. My pump is failing, filter clogged etc. I swapped in a stock type 1 chip which i should have been running very rich etc and it still didnt help. I will be burning my own chip in a few weeks and putting in a venom fuel pump also. I have taken it into redline out also with my fuel pressure raised so i wouldnt detonate and the power is great. It can only get better and better with proper tuning etc.

thats all for now.

this is my cardomain...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2895072

Hmm your engine/car combo has intrigued me! I've always loved how the legends look but i've never been able to find any for sale!

Looks great. Sounds good. I'd love to see some numbers on what those engines can really do.

bump with info.

I am now running a stock c32a type 2 chip and she runs great! I believe i was running to much timing advance with not enough fuel before with a custom chip. Also i recalculated my compression ratio since i had to do a bunch of math for a custom C32 piston. I am running 10.7:1 minimum compression, maybe at most as high as 11:1.

I forgot what the formula is for each point you go up in compression that equals X amount of hp...anybody know??

she now has 7k on it and purrs.

Awesome. I'm thinking about doing some fab and trying to throw one of those engines into the back of a 92-93 Accord. Right now I have access to a Type-I Legend motor(not sure of the year, probably 92)...what exactly is the problems with those?

The type 1's are good motors. They have head gasket issues however if you use 3.5 gaskets with the head bolts overtorqued to 63lbs and good coolant it will be fine. The engine has put out as much as 300whp NA in austrailia but that is the most i have seen. If you turbo a stock type 1 i have seen them go to 340whp. The bottom of the motor is bulletproof like any honda. The main thing on these motors is they have good torque over any other honda 4banger.

bump with info.

I am now running a stock c32a type 2 chip and she runs great! I believe i was running to much timing advance with not enough fuel before with a custom chip. Also i recalculated my compression ratio since i had to do a bunch of math for a custom C32 piston. I am running 10.7:1 minimum compression, maybe at most as high as 11:1.

I forgot what the formula is for each point you go up in compression that equals X amount of hp...anybody know??

she now has 7k on it and purrs.

People generally guess 3-4% for every whole point of compression, but there are so many factors that go into that guess that it's wildly inaccurate. It's good for ballparking power figures though.

Back