CA Smog Legal D15B with 3-stage vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LaBong

I rescently blew a piston rod in my 97 DX hatchback, and replaced the engine with a D15B 3-stage vtec. I have it in and runnin (minor idle problem I contribute to the IAC), but because Im running the JDM ECU that came with the engine I will not be able to pass smog in CA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I have researched there is no US ECU that will run the 3-stage vtec. Can I just swap the double solenoid with a EX vtech solenoid and ECU? or is there more to it than that?

Any other Ideas on what I can do to get this to pass smog?

There is more. The EX ECU is only programmed for vtec at higher rpms so even if you switched it, it would run like crap before 5000rpms and even then it wouldn't run that great. All you can really do is switch the cylinder head for the EX one because it will give you vtec and it will actually run well. You will have to get a head that is 97 or newer and transfer all of the emmissions stuff from your original motor to the new block/head.

Thanks

Thanks. I was afraid that the head was different also. Well time to start shopping again. ;) Its my first swap, and the 3-stage vtech wasnt what I ordered but its what i got. Thanks for the help.

My brother-in-law is a freakin genius. Since I am a broke ass, this is the best recomendation I have heard yet.

He recommended I can swap out the Head of the d15b, with my Y7 head off my old engine (since the top end of that engine is still good), take the vtec and KS wires out of the ecu plug, put in my old ecu, and go get my smog. Only cost me a few gaskets and some o-rings. Then after I get my smog, I got time to roll, and get the vtech working.

Hell, I might just keep my head around and do the head swap every two years to get my smog cert. Its a lot better than having to buy a new head.

Back