Cable B series trans questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

robx7fcna

Hey all, I dont post much on here, but I lurk this site and source info very often since this site has a weath of knowlege. Anyhow, heres the story...

About 2 yrs ago, I swapped a 1st gen B16 in my 89si and soon after realized that the place I bought my swap off of screwed me over and sold me a A1 tranny (teg ls/gs and whatever else) At the time I didnt know any better that this wasnt the right geared tranny for the swap, so I guess it was partially my fault for not noticing... :huh:

Now I am on the hunt for a new tranny, since drag racing with the A1 is horrible!

now for the questions...

1)Obviously, I am on the hunt for a J1, but how much longer are the gears in a B16 y1? is it a huge difference?

2) If I was to buy a B16 y1 tranny, could I swap the 4.400 final out of my A1 into the y1 tranny?

3) How can I identify a B16 s1 compared to a B18a s1?

Thanks in advance guys, Rob

Transmission Specs

1) The Reference section is good for info like this, no need to make a new thread for it.

2) Yes you could swap them

3) There should be a tag on the transmission with a vin on it, and so you should be able to track down what type of car it came out of with that vin. Other than that, tear it apart and count the gear teeth...lol.

Quoted post[/post]]
Transmission Specs

1) The Reference section is good for info like this, no need to make a new thread for it.

2) Yes you could swap them

3) There should be a tag on the transmission with a vin on it, and so you should be able to track down what type of car it came out of with that vin. Other than that, tear it apart and count the gear teeth...lol.

Thanks for the reply...

I have read over the transmission specs page a million times and I know what tranny is what. I basically wanted a personal experiance on how different the 4.266 final is compared to the 4.400 as looking at the numbers would really only give me a rough idea, especially since the 1 thru 4 gears are longer on the Y1.

Anyhow, its good to know that the parts are interchangeable.

I am going to look at a s1 today, the owner says it is a B16 s1 for sure so I will take his word for it

thanks again for helping me out! :cool:

-Rob-

so I ended up buying the S1 tranny off of the guy I mentioned above. Like I said earlier it was off of his B16 and he claims it is a B16 S1 tranny.

The number on the tranny is s-1 1023886 . Can anyone confirm that this is a close ratio S1? I am unsure how to go about getting the info on this.

Thanks, Rob

Back