cable/hydraulic tranny question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

What are the main advantages/disadvantages to cable and hydraulic trannys?? I have someone selling an OBDII B16 out of a Del Sol and he says it has a cable tranny. From researching i've found that they are supposed to be hydraulic. Should i be watching out for anything or is the cable tranny a disadvantage?? This would be going into a 92 Si hatch, thanks

If it's right out of a DelSol, than 100% it has a hydraulic clutch. Now if it was put into another car, than maybe they swapped the tranny for a cable one.

Neither is really better, the hydraulics are availible with better gearing, but commonly they are about the same. As far as which is better, the application decides, such as it's better to use a hydraulic in a car that used one from the factory, or cable in a car that is set up for a cable one.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 21 2004, 04:21 PM
If it's right out of a DelSol, than 100% it has a hydraulic clutch. Now if it was put into another car, than maybe they swapped the tranny for a cable one.

Neither is really better, the hydraulics are availible with better gearing, but commonly they are about the same. As far as which is better, the application decides, such as it's better to use a hydraulic in a car that used one from the factory, or cable in a car that is set up for a cable one.
[post=393094]Quoted post[/post]​

ah i see, the motor is actually out of the del sol and sitting in the shop right now. So there isnt really a disadvantage or advantage to the cable other than the gearing you were talkin about?? The car i'm putting it in is a 92 Si hatch with a D16z6, is that cable or hydraulic?

It's (92 Civic) hydraulic, and if the motor came out of the original car it has a hydraulic also, that guy is a tard.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Sep 21 2004, 04:26 PM
It's (92 Civic) hydraulic, and if the motor came out of the original car it has a hydraulic also, that guy is a tard.
[post=393099]Quoted post[/post]​

well its at a shop so i'm assuming he knows what hes talkin about. Lets say hes right, i guess the thing i want to know is, does this change anything performance wise or is this something that is common among B16a swaps into different cars? I just dont want to get something that is not a normal thing in a b16. you understand what i mean

If, for some ungoly reason it is a cable tranny, it won't work in your car unless you get a conversion kit from HAsport. But it should still give you the same effect once installed.

And like I said if it's in a DelSol than one of two things is going on:

1. It has been swapped.

2. It's hydraulic and the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

sell the cable tranny get a 92-00 si or any integra 94-01 tranny get the axles from those same years and call it a day the cable tranny requires way to much work my boy did it and he messed up his third gear already just get the hydro and the cable tranny the hydro cable converter is not very trust worthy looking do it and do it right

Back