cable speeds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

Alright I know there are small tricks you can do to make the speed go up on your cable modem. Anyhow I have done everything I can think of,
made the 'Y' split at the point it enters the house, use the extra thick stinger cable...I dunno, 10/100 nic with suposta be "fast" cable between the modem and nic...not fire wire....so I dunno whats left. I am peaking at just a bit over 3mps at off peak hours. the rest of the time I'm dogging along at around 1-1.5mps....so hook me up with all your goodie info, I know someone out there knows tons of shit on all this...buy an uncapped modem if you can??? I dunno whats left? maybe I'm down to location.

so hook me up, this can help out everyone who is having a hard time getting their money out of the cable..... :worthy:

The Facts I know:
1 or None: splitters between the cable coming into your house and to your modem. If you use a splitter it must be a 1gig splitter or more (if they make that?)

Cable: Thickest coaxial cable you can buy!!! I belive its like RG-59 w/ 1000MHz?

I dunno, feel free to correct me :worthy:

It depends on alot more than your cable signal... Once you get a decent enough signal you hit diminishing returns... An ultra strong signal is great for redundancy... If something happens that weakens the signal you'll still be good, but it won't speed up your connection faster than what the cable company limits you to.

Along with the randomness of the internet, the cable companies cap is the main limiting factor. 1.5mbps downstream is the average cap, and it sounds like you're hitting that pretty regularly.

1. Don't uncap or your cable company will fuck you. The first time they catch you (which is anytime they run a diagnostic on your connection) you'll get yelled at, the second time they will prevent you from getting cable ever again.

2. DSL is much slower than 1.5mps so don't switch over. Everyone I know on DSL downloads at 50-60kbs and I download at an average of 250kbps, although some of it depends on where you live.

s40108a986b6e1.jpg

:blink:

CNET tech sites: Price comparisons | Product reviews | Tech news | Downloads | Site map
Internet ServicesDomain NamesAll CNETThe Web

CNET : Internet : Bandwidth meter

Bandwidth calculation is measured against that of CNET's Internet Services. Bandwidth may be higher or lower depending on Internet congestion. Calculated tests do not reflect server reliability and speed.

Connection Type Connection Speed Faster Providers

28.8 Kbps Dial-up 28.8k

33.6 Kbps Dial-up 33.6k

53.3 Kbps Dial-up 56k

128 Kbps ISDN 128k

384 Kbps DSL/Cable 384k

768 Kbps DSL/Cable 768k

1500 Kbps DSL/Cable 1.5Mbps

9488 Kbps - You 9488 kbps

Next steps:

Add the Bandwidth Meter to your site
Further qualify your DSL search Find cable access
Bookmark this page

Featured services: Tech Jobs | GameCreds | Memory Upgrades | Digital Photo Tips | Free IT downloads
CNET Networks: Builder | CNET | GameSpot | mySimon | TechRepublic | ZDNet About CNET

Contact us | Corrections | How to advertise | Support | CNET Jobs
Copyright ©1995-2003 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy policy

Couldn't get print screen to work so anyways...I'm sitting at 9486 KBPS right now, anyone try to beat that...

ok being a cable installer and beng well aware of how a cable system works it is nearly imposiable to uncap a cable modem. you would have to set up a false cable system crate boot files for the modem that are similar to that of your current cable system. IE same up and down stream frequencies(channel). also any fluctation in signal IE switching back to the real system will most likely cause the modem to reload the boot file. if it dosent download one then it will download a new one when your ip lease is up usualy 5-7 days......... having sad this this is an option for you. get a second ip address from your isp usualy $5-10mo and a second modem/nic card. now start runing win xp and you cn bridge you network connections together now you will have doubled your bandwidth in a very effective way. also what cable system are you in and where in the country are you most cable caps are 1.5-3mb some systems do have tirred service so you can get faster speeds

any questions ?
ps i wirk for them an have only hade one modem that would run wide open and it was a manufacturer error in the modem that didnt allow the capfunction of the modem to work and my job was threatend when the saw what it was dong on the router (and i wouldnt turn it in) . this only took them a mater of about 6 hours to catch and the shut off. so watch your back

Back