CAFROG's K20-R EGg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PS gear box is leaking b/c the trans is hitting a bolt. Got a used manual rack today

Will put it on sometime in the future. I need to buy toe rod ends and get it aligned after I install it.

got some questions for you i just did my first ever engine/k swap never did a motor swap ever i got a k2.4 and a k2.0 so i put the 6 speed tranny on the k2.4 and used the k2.0 motor mount that bolt to timing cover side put it in and im about to put the k2.0 head on the k2.4 but i didnt realize that the oil pan is like 2 inches away did i do something wrong? and would honda fit shift cables work on my car?

got some questions for you i just did my first ever engine/k swap never did a motor swap ever i got a k2.4 and a k2.0 so i put the 6 speed tranny on the k2.4 and used the k2.0 motor mount that bolt to timing cover side put it in and im about to put the k2.0 head on the k2.4 but i didnt realize that the oil pan is like 2 inches away did i do something wrong? and would honda fit shift cables work on my car?
For what you are doing, you need to start your own build thread for it. There will be many more questions.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Start a thread and well go from there. Make sure you state the year and model of the car. Suspension set up, brand of mounts, and pictures.

Don't think Fit shift box/cables will work. Also kswaps have low oil pans but I don't know what you meant exactly.

Put my manual rack in today. It was a pain with this K swap. The trans was on the PS gear box and I had to take stuff off to lift the trans side up and blah blah blah. Took me way too long.

My steering wheel is 90 degrees out when Tires are straight (steering wheel turned left). Talked to a buddy who does alignments and he said it should be fine when I get new tie rods and an alignment. Didn't drive it.....I'm spent.

Anybody got experience with that stuff?

Do you have cruise and an air bag? The wiring harness has limits when you turn the steering wheel. I just ripped my harness apart when I got my car back together. I believe you get 3 1/2 turns each way before it rips apart. Id recommend taking out the universal joint and aligning the steering wheel best you can before the alignment. :)

My dad and I fought that damn yolk and where it connects at the steering rack

I was underneath while my dad was in the cabin. He said he tried to collapse the column up but it didn't budge

He must have turned the wheel to get a connection and thats how she came out.

We had it better but the two bolts near the gear box were feeling tight and wrong with an inch left to go.

They came out very easy and had no issues so we were stumped.....took it back off and chased the treads.

This was a pain. I took off the header, O2's, shiftter cables, various little things and two motor mounts.

I have been lazy and putting this off (b/c I knew it would take me too long)

Both wheels are slightly turning away from eachother. It's not that bad but still a 2+ mile drive so I may rent a dolly.

I am worn out. But I will mess with it next weekend.

Is there some way to get the steering wheel better without taking the rack loose and fighting that crap again???? PLEASE

Here's some pictures:

What my problem was: (you can see the PS fluid that leaked out the bottom of the gearbox)
100_1794.jpg

What I have now (from the top......not jacking it up this morning)
100_1811.jpg

Wheel alignment isn't that off......I think I can drive it......my dad thinks its fine for the trip to the shop.
100_1807.jpg

100_1806.jpg

And my problem.......
100_1813.jpg

I got a week to figure out a plan to fix the steering wheel situation......will work on it next weekend.

Ugh.....no. Plus I have a huge rubber grommet there. I may need to take the column out or the rack.

How is the steering wheel mounted to the shaft? Are Honda's different from the old spline setup? Never had one off.

I am thinking (well.....hoping) that the joint will come off and I can reset it.

It seemed like there was some play in the steering column cylindrical gear that the joint attaches to.

So I figure it is worth a shot.

I just spent the last couple days, here and there, going through this thread.

I can't believe I missed it when it started. Congratulations on the swap, and good luck with the alignment/steering issues.

*Edit - I was looking at the parts schematic on Majestic Honda ( http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=STEERING+COLUMN ) and if you prefer working under the dash more than the hood, it looks like you may be able to get access to the lock bolt for the shaft from inside the car. Maybe, maybe not; but it may be worth looking into. Obviously, I don't have a shop manual for a 92 Civic

Last edited:
Thanks. I am enjoying the new drivetrain but the project is eating my fun money.....so I can have fun this spring.

I ordered new OEM outer tie rods, dust covers and bracket for the manual rack. Will install them in a week or two and fix the steering wheel so I can drive this car again.

Last edited:
Back