cage reqirements

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well im geting ready to build a cage for a friends car. and there is some confusion about tubing sizes.

this is what i thought you need and what i built mine out of 1 5/8 x .118 wall mild steel

but he is telling me that i can use 1.5 x 0.095 wall D.O.M. tubing and it will be legal because of chasi weight

this is going to be a roadrace/scca/hondachallenge car. and some drag racing to and he wants it to be legal for all events that he wants to participate in. so any thoughts on where i can find info and rule books would be great help.

if this is true i have a 6pt 1 5/8 x 0.095 wall cage for a crx available and it can be removed and made to be a bolt in style or welld you tell me im just going to build me a new one

SCCA has different rules than NASA and both are FULLY different than NHRA drag racing rules. Mainly, welding VS bolting.

Straight up, it's impossible to be legal for all 3 with one car.

pick one that doesn't suck (the HC sounds good to me if he can travel, SCCA if not) and get a rule book, and follow it to spec.

yea thats what i thought i was just having a arguement with him and no the cage will be welded in and most likely to NASA specs i was just wanting some more info before i told him that he is tolaly wrong. but 1.5x.095 seams small and thin to me does any one know

Back