Cai Advise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigdaddyIII

im thinking about cai's and i was wondering if anyone has tried or knows someone who has used a k&n air charger cai. it looks like a good product, but i wanna know more.

personally, if i was to ever get a CAI i would only consider 2 of them.
1. AEM V2 CAI
2. ICEMAN CAI
sorry, i have no input on the k&n system

Fact of life AEM makes the best CAI. I hear the V2 is supposed to be the best ever but last I heard it was only for 99-00 Si. I dunno though. K & N does however make the best filters.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@May 20 2003, 02:01 PM
K & N does however make the best filters.

:werd:...remember that the AEM intakes come with a K&N filter. buy a AEM, you'll be happier and if you live in CA your smog guy won't give you any problems.

i bought an ebay cold air intake for $30 and put a K&N filter on it and it gave me 9whp on the dyno so not bad for a total of $60.

Well Milan every little bit counts. Especially when your N/A. If you need an intake why get an APC when you can get 5 more horsepower with an AEM? Do this for all your bolt on's and you'll have 30hp over the cheap ass with the same mods.

for the life of me i could never see how one piece of metal pipe differs from another... maybe the AEM piping has kryptonite to create a typhoon? or maybe metal is just metal and it boils down to what filter you use?

true every little bit counts .... but you can make more power than the larger name brands if you just get creative and tweek some shit on your own

just because AEM is the one of the better intakes you can buy doesnt mean its the greatest thing ever

Originally posted by DTEC@May 21 2003, 01:54 PM
for the life of me i could never see how one piece of metal pipe differs from another... maybe the AEM piping has kryptonite to create a typhoon? or maybe metal is just metal and it boils down to what filter you use?

actually, AEM intakes have a zinc coating to insulate the air from the engine's heat..but no one really knows how effective it is.

you can bring your intake to just about any powder coating shop and have it ceramic coated (like the shit they do to headers) that will be way better than the coating AEM has .... less heat = more power

Or you can make your own cai that is acutally better than an AEM. go to clubsol.com and look for the custom cai article.

y0 check it out! I did a seach on goggle for cold air intake and found a site that told how to make your own aem style cai for under 100$. it was a good site it had part numbers and everything for all that is needed. built mine work as good as any cai IMO. For race day i'm going to take the head light out and run it as a short ram. I think that would be better cause of the less bents and it will still get cold air. but back to the topic. just make your own save 120$ and use it for girls. heres some pics of my home made cai setup...works and sounds great...oh yeah the only problem i had was, if it is a problem was where the pipping meets with the TB i had to put lot of time in getting the angel just right. the paint has ceramic in it so that would help with blocking heat. i painted inside and out. one important step i took was to make all the cuts with a saw dont know the right name of its kind but it kicked ass and all cuts are nice. you had to pull the saw down. and yeah its a K&N

s3ee29cf757e63.jpg

s3ee29cb51fbde.jpg

s3ee29d22b239d.jpg

s3ee29cc8d949f.jpg

s3ee29c873f7b1.jpg

s3ee29c9ca604e.jpg

s3ee29cdf3d09d.jpg

if you see on the can it says dyno tested....so i looked on the back and it claims to add 10 more hp... :lol:

with your filter down there.......what do you do if it rains or you make a big splash in a puddle. Wont you suck that up too and fuck up your motor. i think a short ram is just safer. but thats me :rolleyes:

my intake is down in the wheel well and i've had no problems

i had the "AEM style intake... i'll sell it for 20 bucks!!

it's been sitting on my floor since i replace it w/ the aem one

hey TRuggerio, thanks for the update. I had no idea that every little hp counts. Even considering that my signature suggests that I too am a NA guru. I still say that all CAI are virtually the same, some are wider, some are a little short, some are made from plastic, and the filters that come with them all flow different CFM. The filter that flows the most CFM is the old school blitz metal mesh filters. I myself bought a shit generic CAI, just the piping, and painted it with resistant paint and then wrapped it with heat repellant tape. It was ugly as hell but who the fuck cares, function over fashion. Dynos of these industry leading CAI's all have different numbers considering that all motors are different, conditions vary when they are dynoed, etc. If you truly want the most NA WHP out of your ride then I suggest that you buy every intake on the market and dyno it on the same dyno. Don't forget about weather conditions. There was also a couple posts up that the short rams produced more numbers.

Also just because you use name brand doesn't mean you produce the most power buddy, so just relax before you start being a little fresh to me.........

Milan

Originally posted by DA69@Jun 8 2003, 08:16 AM
with your filter down there.......what do you do if it rains or you make a big splash in a puddle. Wont you suck that up too and fuck up your motor.

Last summer I drove my Sol with a CAI in the bumper thru about a foot of water for a good 600'. I had no problems, but in retrospect that wasn't too smart...

Back