CAI AEM Bypass Valve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I just bought one and installed it. I am a mechanical engineer, so I like to figure things out, but couldn't exactly figure out how this works from the directions. It has a foam filter on the outside, then a different foam filter on the insider separate by some rubber tabs and this plastic spring thing. Supposedly when the intake retains water the bypass spring does something, don;t know what or how and it absorbs the water and makes it go out of the bypass valve. How does it work, and why does it say to push on the tabs after i install?

Let me know what you guys know.

Thanks
Khai

if you were to completeley submerge an air filter in water the AEM bypass opens to atmospher creating a new path for air to reach the intake manifold.

if the air filter is completely submerged and the engine is still running it will create a vacuum inside the intake tube causing the valve to open.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Jan 26 2004, 12:56 PM
if you were to completeley submerge an air filter in water the AEM bypass opens to atmospher creating a new path for air to reach the intake manifold.

if the air filter is completely submerged and the engine is still running it will create a vacuum inside the intake tube causing the valve to open.

:nod:

where is the vale though and how does it open to atmospehre and how does it actually prevent the water from entering the intake. Does the sponge expand and close up the path? How dies it know when to expand etc etc?

Thanks I am starting to understand?

Khai

you're a mechanical engineer and you can't figure it out? did you go to ITT tech or some shit? lol

ok, its like this
the rubber flaps are the valve (they are inside that foam of the valve unit). if water gets sucked into the filter, it causes a pressure drop, this drop opens the valves, and lets air in. if air is coming in through the valve, it will no longer "suck" through the filter and continue to get its air through the valve.

Sounds simple enough. I think you were trying to overthink it.

Expanding foam valves might be out next year though! :p

Water is heavy. You don't need to block the path through the tube. You simply need to create an easier path for the air to travel, which drops the water along with the Vacuum level. :ph34r:

Back