Cai And Sai Question!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

Is it true that if you put a CAI or SAI on a stock motor, it can make you loose some power? because the compression is not has good, has with the stock intake? Is it true, and it fucking does not do nothing?

Ok first off, what is a sai? And a CAI is a great first mod because it helps restore lost horsepower and stuff and makes a good increase in throttle response.

SAI = Short air intake.
not as long as a CAI.

Ok! Good for the throlle response. But is the compression of the motor affected?

Originally posted by ovcrash@Apr 16 2003, 08:29 PM
SAI = Short air intake.
not as long as a CAI.

Ok! Good for the throlle response. But is the compression of the motor affected?

its Short Ram Air Intake. More bottom end torque then a CAI but a CAI has more mid to high end horsies. Compression of the motor is affected internally i.e. pistons, headgasket and other variables. NO it does not affect compression

the way you lose power with a short intake is you suck up HOT air from the engine compartment
you get more air faster but its HOT air
for every 11* you can cool the air entering the combustion chamber you gain 1hp
the same is true in reverse for hotter air

so while you are revving faster from getting a larger amount of air it is a weaker "rev"

some short intakes are designed better than others and put the filter in a better location and will not have a power loss... others just suck ass and do nothing but make noise

Originally posted by TypeRcivic@Apr 16 2003, 05:50 PM

its Short Ram Air Intake. More bottom end torque then a CAI but a CAI has more mid to high end horsies. Compression of the motor is affected internally i.e. pistons, headgasket and other variables. NO it does not affect compression

you got it mixed up. a cai is for low to mid and a short ram is for the mid to high.

here's an explanation:
-at lower rpm's your motor needs a longer runner to create the velocity in the air. a short ram does that because the piping has a smaller diameter and it's longer in lenght.
-at high rpm's the motor wants as much air as you can give it. a short ram having a shorter lenght but bigger diameter can do that.

-a perfect example of this is the intake manifold on a GS-R and if some of you are aware, the Taurus SHO.

:blink: The logic is sound, but........ I had a short-ram akimoto noise-maker when I bought my car as well as 2 piece headers. I switched to AEM CAI and 4-1 one piece headers. It made a HUGE difference. Goodbye torque, hello top-end. My car is still pulling at 7500 RPM'S. It's a dog under 4 grand tho. So if i switched the headers and kept the intake it would have made MORE top end power? No way, I'm pretty sure it's CAI - top end SRI - midrange. Don't beat me, It's just an observation... ;)

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 17 2003, 04:01 PM
:blink: The logic is sound, but........ I had a short-ram akimoto noise-maker when I bought my car as well as 2 piece headers. I switched to AEM CAI and 4-1 one piece headers. It made a HUGE difference. Goodbye torque, hello top-end. My car is still pulling at 7500 RPM'S. It's a dog under 4 grand tho. So if i switched the headers and kept the intake it would have made MORE top end power? No way, I'm pretty sure it's CAI - top end SRI - midrange. Don't beat me, It's just an observation... ;)

read this post. it might answer your question as to why you got better top end power...one word for you...4-1 header...

:huh: Did you even read my post? I said, if I left the 4-1 and left the SHORT-RAM, would I have more top end than my CAI? What you guys are saying is that unless you have done head work and are revving up to 9g, then a short ram is better? (more useable power) ;)

I've had both, and the AEM short ram was horrible, I felt a slight pull at like 40-50. With the AEM CAI, it is a noticable difference. With a 4-2-1 2 piece stainless steel header, I don't see much improvement, however I don't have any "lag/bogging" throughout the rpm range. Get an AEM CAI and a 4-1 header if you want top end power. Get an AEM CAI and a 4-2-1 if you want more power at about 3000-5000 rpms.

Originally posted by rsaeini@Apr 17 2003, 10:17 AM
[

here's an explanation:
-at lower rpm's your motor needs a longer runner to create the velocity in the air. a short ram does that because the piping has a smaller diameter and it's longer in lenght.
-at high rpm's the motor wants as much air as you can give it. a short ram having a shorter lenght but bigger diameter can do that.

umm, so the short ram is BOTH long in length and short in length and is good at BOTH low rpms and high rpms :unsure:. You should clean up what you were trying to say

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Apr 19 2003, 12:23 PM
:blink: So, what your saying is, CAI - Top End / SRI - Midrange? Wait a minute.... :wtf:

CAI = all around pwer, SRI = NOTHING

Originally posted by TypeRcivic+Apr 19 2003, 10:41 AM-->
@Apr 17 2003, 10:17 AM
[

here's an explanation:

umm, so the short ram is BOTH long in length and short in length and is good at BOTH low rpms and high rpms :unsure:. You should clean up what you were trying to say

read it again. i said the SRI is shorter in lenght but bigger in diameter, there is a difference.

Back