CAI for a 97 B18C

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jazzy19

Hey guys.. I want to get a CAI for my B18C but im not sure if i should get one.. i heard that CAI can suck up alot of water/liquid into the engine??? Is this true and if so, i was told to get a bypass valve and everything would be ok... I live in Canada where its 3 months summer and 9 months winter.. Would i have a problem with the CAI sucking up snow/rain/water etc... Where would the CAI sit in my B18c, could water get to it if i drive over a puddle or a bunch of wet snow or something???

Thanks for the advice..
Jazzy Jay

Originally posted by Jazzy19@Aug 4 2004, 09:01 AM
Hey guys.. I want to get a CAI for my B18C but im not sure if i should get one.. i heard that CAI can suck up alot of water/liquid into the engine??? Is this true and if so, i was told to get a bypass valve and everything would be ok... I live in Canada where its 3 months summer and 9 months winter.. Would i have a problem with the CAI sucking up snow/rain/water etc... Where would the CAI sit in my B18c, could water get to it if i drive over a puddle or a bunch of wet snow or something???

Thanks for the advice..
Jazzy Jay
[post=372438]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey dood,
a CAI should be fine for you. I live just outside of Toronto so I know what you mean by weather. The air filter sits inside of the splash gaurd in the passenger side wheel well, so things like splashes and snow buildup are not issues. If you happen to go through a small pond with your car (completely submerging the air filter in water) then hydrolock is your new middle name. Get the bypass valve just in case, but keep in mind it can only do so much. Just dont go mud bogging or anything....be smart and you'll enjoy it for years.

Peace from T-Dot.
R

Originally posted by Jazzy19@Aug 4 2004, 02:16 PM
thanks man...where are u located???
[post=372565]Quoted post[/post]​

North Brampton (Heart Lake), End of the 410.

ICEBOX??? I heard that they dont give good performance.. A CAI would give you more HP. Could you let me know if im right or wrong??? We should hook up someday.. Im in north york..

Here is the thing about CAI, the less restrictive it is the better. The best intake would be sticking an air filter on your throttle body, but there are factors to consider. One of the most important being ambient(sp) air temp, the colder the better. So CAI is the best of both worlds. The good ones don't use a box cuz that is restrictive. Instead they use long piping to get away from the heat and only use minor bends if they can help it to reduce restriction in the pipe. I like AEM but there are lots of good ones out there. Internet searches are your friend. :p

Back