CALLING all EK B16a swap owners. Need some help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shock_whore

currently got a b16a 99-00 si OBD2B in 96 EK hatch w/SI gauge cluster. I got a few questions. I bought the car like this. I didn't do the swap.

1. The Check Engine Light isn't working. I located the CEL pin on the P2T ECU... how would I go about wiring that up to the CEL indicator?

2. How did you manage to have your car pass emission? My failed twice even with stock muffler+Cat.....Will putting a 96 civic CX/DX ECU in the car pass emission?

3. VTEC doesn't seem to work. I have been in 99-00 Si's before and I can hear the cross over pretty well. In my hatch, i don't hear jack and the car feels slow! Did a research and i'm gonna clean the VTEC soleniod filter, check the knock sensor, and check to make sure the plug was plugged... Any other suggestions?

4. Is there any way i can hook up a OBD2 sensor plug under the steering wheel? This way when i take it to the emission testing station, all they will do is plug their cord into the plug and not have to run the car.

Thanks!

Last edited:
well i dont own an EK but i do have a b16 and an EK gauge cluster....
but the ecu could be programmed or chipped so that the CEL doesnt come on. you could try to change the ecu, if its chipped then it may be running rich because of it.

the only thing i can tell you about the vtec is to make sure that your oil is good, and is full. if its old or needs more then your oil pressure wont be correct and wont allow vtec to kick in. try what you are gonna do with the silenoid then change your oil.

i have a 97 ex with first gen b16, i got it to pass emmisions no prob. Basically what is probably wrong with your setup is you have a cel! With an obd2 car they plug your ecu into a code reader and if it throws a cel you automatically fail. Get a stock cluster and use that untill you find what you are throwing a code for. Fix the code and you will pass. Also the car is slow and dosn't hit vtec like it should because of whatever code you are throwing. Most likely a knock sensor, those break all the time. Use an obd2 ls non vtec ecu just for emmisions, it will not throw a code and run okay(no vtec) and you should pass.

Back