Calling all Linux users

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, I fucking hate Windows, it is a shit system and crashes and is unfucking stable, I hate it, hate it, hate it (this is two days of frustration speaking).

Anyway My brother inlaw has Linspire, a good retail version. He said he will give it to me and it should install nice and easy. Ok, here are my issues...

1) I have a 64 bit system and I hear that Linux 64 bit OS is way ahead of M$, so should I go for that? If I do what compatibility issues am I going to run into with my hardware, well, my graphics card, everything else should be ok.

2) Can I still play HL2? I know there are emulators you can run that let you run Windows programs like Photoshop (which I will not get rid of). Would one of these let me run HL2 ( the only PC game I play, well, and Doom3). And if so, are they compatible with the Linux 64bit OS?

What other issues am I looking at as far as everyday "computing" go?

I give you this thread to make me a convert, so hop hop.

Sure you can recompile your kernel for 64 bit, but all your execuatbles will still be 32bit. Most won't work.

You CAN install a 64 bit version of Linux. The two I have seen are SLAMD64 and Gentoo. Problem is, SLAMD isn't really ready for real use, and hooooooooo boy... I pity the newbie that jumps into the Gentoo pit.

Linspire is a good starting Linux. It should recognize your hardware windows style, so little configuration will be needed. It's not a very powerful Linux, but a good Linux nonetheless.

Wine is the program your are looking for. Lets you run Windows executables under Linux. It's a bit of a task to set it up completely, but just go with the documentation and you'll be golden. I'm not sure if Wine will compile in a 64 bit environment, since you will basically need to emulate a 32 bit processor because I imagine that you will be changing endians at that point.

Anyway, any more questions, feel free to ask.

Well, I can deal with not running a 64 bit system, not like I really need it. I found a Linux driver for my grapfics card, so that's cool to. I am going to dual boot for a while till I get used to it, then make the complete change over. I am so pissed that a multibillion dollar corp can make such a piece of shit OS, and have it be as unstable as it is. I thought it was my hardware, but every test and configuration I use, it comes out the same. Great stability running Memtest86, great scores on SiSoft Sandra, 3DMark can't faze me, all without breaking a sweat, and yet this shit Winblows has more bugs than my moms garden.

So what about running my games? HL2 runs online via Steam, is that going to be a problem? What about Doom 3?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 6 2005, 05:18 PM
Well, I can deal with not running a 64 bit system, not like I really need it. I found a Linux driver for my grapfics card, so that's cool to. I am going to dual boot for a while till I get used to it, then make the complete change over. I am so pissed that a multibillion dollar corp can make such a piece of shit OS, and have it be as unstable as it is. I thought it was my hardware, but every test and configuration I use, it comes out the same. Great stability running Memtest86, great scores on SiSoft Sandra, 3DMark can't faze me, all without breaking a sweat, and yet this shit Winblows has more bugs than my moms garden.

So what about running my games? HL2 runs online via Steam, is that going to be a problem? What about Doom 3?
[post=483827]Quoted post[/post]​

Using your games online shouldn't be a problem. You will need to update your directX, and there are howtos on this. From there it should run your games nicely. I almost had Guild Wars running on my laptop, but then I found out the graphcs card isn't 3D capable :( Ah well, that's what the dualie is for.

Wine should have a setting (and will probably make them for you) that sets a directory for an emulated drive C and cdrom. It'll look like a normal windows system. Your best bet is when you install Wine, mount your windows partition to a directory and point Wine's drive C setting to that. That'll ensure maximum compatibility.

Well I have been browsing a Linux forum, and found some cool stuff. Not only is there a driver for my Radeon, there is a hacked driver that apparently rocks the socks off the Windows one. And TransGaming Cedega apparently fully supports HL2 out of the box :), 3D shading, DirectX9, everything.

Seriously, if I can get the hang of this and the few programs I need work on it, I am out of the Windows scene.

I mean hell, I can't even get HL2 to play on Windows right now. I fucking hate this shit.

do a dual boot system. I use linux most of the time, but when i want to use my windows only programs.. i just boot up windows

I will definitely be dual booting, I have backed up everything from my older small 10G HD, so now it is free.

I think I will run Windows on it, and install Doom 3, HL2 and Photoshop, then install Linux on my main HD. Hopefully 10G will be big enough for that, I know Windows is what about 3?

Nah, he's going to run Winblowz from his 10GB drive.

Jon- you can trim XP down to well under a gig and still support games. Hit me up on PM / email and I'll get you the tools to do it with. :)

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Apr 6 2005, 07:45 PM
you only have 10 gb to work with total/??

you need at least 3 partitions total to run linux
[post=483878]Quoted post[/post]​

Three?

Why would I need multiple partitions to run one OS?

Mike, it's going to have to be PM's here. I am not installing much on my computer till I get these damn bugs worked out.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 6 2005, 08:52 PM
Why would I need multiple partitions to run one OS?

Mike, it's going to have to be PM's here. I am not installing much on my computer till I get these damn bugs worked out.
[post=483941]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, most people like to put the /usr directory on a seperate partition. You have that, the root partition and the swap partition.

It's you choice to make /usr a seperate partition. If not, you will have two.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 7 2005, 05:41 AM
Yup, 3 partitions for linux is standard.

I'll upload XP Lite and link it to you.
[post=484025]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd.

Well, in my fight against Windows, I scrubbed my HD with a military grade scrubber, reinstalled Windows on as clean a HD as you can get without buying a new one, and guess what? Still ghey.

It makes no sense, I ran this exact copy for what half a month since I got back with no problems, then one day poof, a shit storm. what gives?

Ok, I have a copy of Lindows (Linspire 4.5) and Mandrake 10 sitting in front of me. I am thinking Lindows to start with.

Opinions, tips for installing, things to look out for...general help.

Also, something weird, today when I scrubbed my drive and reinstalled Windows, I don't know how, but it turned my drive into E:\, not C:\, wth?

If it installed as E and not C, maybe it saw the physical ordering of your drives a little different than you had them before...

Well I have Linspire installed (easy) But every time I try to open something I get a signal 11 Konqueror has crashed error. This is for the internet, My Computer, anything :(

I tried to install Mandrake, anmd it doesn't see my CDROM, so that halts install of that.

Ok, so I got a copy of Suse 9.1 comp[lete install yadda yadda yadda.

I installed it, easy enough, but I have some issues now.

For one I can't get on the internet. Tried configuring it in install, but couldn't get it to fly, any ideas? I am on T-Online which a lot of you probably don't have a clue about. It connects via PPPoE through them.

Second major problem is my screen. It is polarized, looked fine during install, but noe that it's installed it looks like ass. Maybe my drivers, but I can't get online to update :(

Any insight into these or other weird happenings will be apprectiated.

Back