Calling all Linux users

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 10 2005, 05:08 PM
Ok, so I got a copy of Suse 9.1 comp[lete install yadda yadda yadda.

I installed it, easy enough, but I have some issues now.

For one I can't get on the internet. Tried configuring it in install, but couldn't get it to fly, any ideas? I am on T-Online which a lot of you probably don't have a clue about. It connects via PPPoE through them.

Second major problem is my screen. It is polarized, looked fine during install, but noe that it's installed it looks like ass. Maybe my drivers, but I can't get online to update :(

Any insight into these or other weird happenings will be apprectiated.
[post=485417]Quoted post[/post]​

PPPoE... (shudders). Well, Linux does support it. Hopefully there is a module compiled. It should be named pppoe, so just type 'modprobe pppoe' at your root prompt, then try to acquire a DHCP address via 'dhcpcd eth0'. I'm assuming that your highspeed line is connected direclty to the NIC in the back of your box.

Also I am assuming again that your motherboard is that nForce you got recently. If so, then your network card's module is 'forcedeth'. Just modprobe that if eth0 is not listed when you do an 'ifconfig -a'. After you do get your box online, go to nVidia's site and download the latest motherboard drivers for Linux. You'll get much better performance.

I entered "modprobe pppoe" in the root console and got nothing :(

I type modprobe or ifconfig and get....something.

I have a file on Windows that is the pppoe packet I guess from my ISP, but when I try to install it in Yast, it ask if I want to install, I say yes install, then it opens a page that looks like it wants me to search for something. Do I need to find it and enter it there? If so, can I open it from Windows? It see my windows files.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 11 2005, 05:07 AM
I entered "modprobe pppoe" in the root console and got nothing :(

I type modprobe or ifconfig and get....something.

I have a file on Windows that is the pppoe packet I guess from my ISP, but when I try to install it in Yast, it ask if I want to install, I say yes install, then it opens a page that looks like it wants me to search for something. Do I need to find it and enter it there? If so, can I open it from Windows? It see my windows files.
[post=485604]Quoted post[/post]​

If you modprobed pppoe and got *NOTHING*, then the module was sucessfully loaded. Typing ifconfig will give you a list of your network interfaces.

Thanks, I'll play with all that, and see if I can get this thing working.

ok, when I enter ifconfig I get..

Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.00
inet6 addr ::1/128 Scope :Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:74 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 frame : 0
TX packets:74 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 carrier : 0
collisions : 0 txqueuelen : 0
RX bytes : 4980 (4.8 kb) TX bytes : 4980 (4.8 kb)

When I enter ifconfig etho I get fatal error device not found.

So I giuess that means it doesn't see my enthernet card. So I am back to not knowing how to install packages. I have, I believe the driver I need, but when I try ot install it through Yast, after I find it on my Windows system, it saye error can not open. it's too big for a floppy and I can't get my DVD drive to work unless the Suse 9.1 DVD is in. Bah, about to give up and stay Winblows.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 11 2005, 01:48 PM
ok, when I enter ifconfig I get..

Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.00
inet6 addr ::1/128 Scope :Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:74 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 frame : 0
TX packets:74 errors : 0 dropped : 0 overruns : 0 carrier : 0
collisions : 0 txqueuelen : 0
RX bytes : 4980 (4.8 kb) TX bytes : 4980 (4.8 kb)

When I enter ifconfig etho I get fatal error device not found.

So I giuess that means it doesn't see my enthernet card. So I am back to not knowing how to install packages. I have, I believe the driver I need, but when I try ot install it through Yast, after I find it on my Windows system, it saye error can not open. it's too big for a floppy and I can't get my DVD drive to work unless the Suse 9.1 DVD is in. Bah, about to give up and stay Winblows.
[post=485742]Quoted post[/post]​

It's eth0 (eth-zero). Try 'ifconfig -a', that will list all available network devices. ifconfig by itself will not list network devices that do not have an ip address.

Back