1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Neon guys

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by Celerity, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Beer and food provided (Even whores if you request) to come down to Shelton CT this weekend and help me with this Swap.

It's the 96 chassis, with the 98 ECU / harness / dohc motor. When the power is hooked up to the battery, the ONLY thing that happens is the oil pressure light comes on. No domelight, no hazards. When the hazards are turned on, the oil light fades away until the switch is released again. When the key is turned to start, the light dims as though there is a full starting load on it - but it doesn't actually do anything.

Help !

-> Steve

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

check your wiring.

sounds like you have either a short, or your pos/neg are backwards. have you tried jumping the neon? and i dont mean over railroad tracks.

3. Celerity

if you were here, I would punch you in the adam's apple.

yes, I checked the wiring. No, the wiring is not backwards. That's why the battery isn't on fire right now. Jump starting the neon is great - Then, when I hook up the wires to another car, another car's battery can power the goddam oil pressure light

The oil pressure is the first loop circuit off the keyed power wire in the dash. The dashboard has been modified. The engine harness was built by me, and double checked against 2 other cars and by an electrical engineer with the schematic. Do I deny it's the harness ? No.

But Checking the wiring is something that I thought of .0002 seconds after I heard about the issue. Thanks.

4. micah

micah Senior Member

5. hosmer

hosmer I made the millionth post VIP

The ignition wiring?

Do you touch that?...its not much help, but I can tell you that 96 and 98 ignitions are different, so maybe where it comes off the column and plugs into your harness may-be different

that doesn't explain the hazards/dome though...

I dunno...I'm guessing

6. Celerity

Made a mistake.. the dashboard has NOT been modified. Sorry.

Well no, you're on to something there..

The circuit, if I didn't know better, showed the oil pressure light open-circuit. And the dash wiring for the ignition is backwards. With that oil pressure light short, then the ignition wouldn't be able to short when you start it, because there appears to be no supply.

7. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

it was just a joke :mrgreen:

well, give that a shot with the old multimeter :)

8. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

well if jumping it works then id bet you need to change battery terminals. jumping a car shouldnt work if you have a short.

9. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Good God Celerity! This is a honda site - take ur crap neon and GTF out of here!

jk man good luck with t3h swap.

10. Celerity

Total pain in the bawlz, that's what it is.

11. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

k i got a couple ? for ya. when you swapped over the engine harness did you also change anything with the power distrabution box under the hood, ya know the fuse box. i do belive that there are some slight differences in the wirin between the year of the car and the year of the computer. another thing to check is the asd relay to make sure that is powering up correctly. i know i did have a problem with mine in the power dist block under the hood and that had the same symptoms you are describing up top. i am lookin at my book right now tryin to trace where things r goin to see what could possibly be messed up and those r the only possible things i can think of. oh yeah not to say that you havent done it cause i a msure u have but check all your grounds. this car is notorious for the stock ground locations to suck and make the car do retarded things. trust me i know :p if i ca nthink of anything else i will try to help ya but give me some feedbak on what else ya find and i will try to help the best i can.

12. Celerity

As usual,

Block grounds had to be added. I don't know why it is after I build a motor it requires more ground. Hmm.

Anyway, my Turkish friend figured it out. I think he was just messing with shit.

Now, the brakelights power permanently, the dome light doesn't work, the gauges work and the motor turns. The coil gets juice and everything under the hood appears to work. The taillights /interior lights / headlights are my new problem. But shit, I can completely rewire those.

Thanks. If you wanna, come down to check it out and offer your opinion - I would be interested. Call me (PM Me)

13. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

ummm....check your grounds :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted