Calling Computer Guru's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThatGuy4life

The Riced Sleeper
So I've finally broke down and got me a new laptop w/ Vista, maybe I don't have the patience I'm normally able to figure stuff out like this but I can't seem to create a network between the laptop w/ vista and my desktop w/ xp. Tried doing the basic home network, tried doing the wireless home network to no avail. I can get the cpu's to both connect to the wireless home network but they can't see each other. anyone here had this problem that got it fixed?:confused::confused::confused:

are they on the same work group?

xp joins "mshome" by default and vista joins "workgroup" (or is it the other way around? i forget?) either way, make sure both are on the same workgroup name.

What B said. Plus you gotta make sure the folders you want to access on either machine has the permissions setup correctly.

yep u got it right. I changed the vista to mshome last night but for the life of me I don't even rember how I did it, all folders have permissions set but still no dice

Aight, I think i'll just dedicate one day to fixing this, when I actually have time. finally got vista to see xp cpu but can't access it. Xp still not seeing vista, getting an error code: 0x80070035-The network path was not found.

lol glass, still fucking with that? just wire it wtf? lol

Na, I want a computer in another room to print off of the computer that's actually hooked up. I have to make a network first but one is xp and the other vista.

This is a situation where USB zip drives, or an SD card can really come in handy...

Sorry to jack the thread here lol... at least my question was sort of on topic.

Also, as far as I know, what B said should work just fine. Hope you get it working dude.

some if not most of these solutions have been posted, but forgive me because ill list the steps:

1) have to be sure the computers are on the same network, if not change it and restart computers.
2) ensure the folder(s) or drive(s) have the permissions set. i usually put everyone can read, but not write so that way i dont have to set permissions individually. besides i check my logs on the router everyday to be sure only computers i recongize are issued an ip.
3) turn off windows firewall because its useless. if you need one i recommend using comodo or zonealarm, which both are free and infinitely better than windows.
4) allow file sharing on firewall and open ports if required. if you dont know, search on google or something to see which ports are used. dont remember off hand.
5) enable file and printer sharing if on vista.

for printers. install new printer on the computer you want to access via ethernet. choose network printer. browse for it and it should pop up. if not try install basic drivers for the printer first. this helped for an hp printer i had issues with.

Back