Cam allignment?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NorCalAl

I recently (after following a walkthrough on these forums) replaced my headgasket. Since putting it all back together I have a serious issue with power when I first push the accelerator down. It bogs way down and if I don't feather the throttle it seems like it won't increase engine RPM's at all. I've replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs and PCV valve (which was leaking) and am still having this problem. I'm wondering if when I put my timing belt back on I might have somehow advanced the cam pulley one tooth. If I did do this, would the car still run and if so could this be my problem? Any help here is greatly appreciated it....oh ya.... 95 Civic w/ a D15B7 Automatic tranny

Well I turned the distributor all of the way to one side to get it running better but it's still not quite right. Guess I will pull the timing belt and see if that's the problem :p

Like E recommended - check the ignition timing. That will tell you where the cam is. Don't screw with the cam or timing belt until you check the ignition timing. If it's out of whack, then pull covers and correct cam timing.

And you CANNOT change the electrical timing (messing with distributor like you did) without jumping the service connector (investigate via google to find your service plug) If you do....it will change while you sit there but will not stay one car is turned off.

Don't tell the guy to check for ignition timing. Check your mechanical timing at tdc, Depending where you were turning your dizzy (advice,retard) you might just be off a tooth.

IT should throw CPS(crank position sensor) code if you know how to get them from your ecu.

What car/engine?

Checking ignition timing is the easiest and fastest way to know if the cam is in the ballpark or not for obvious reasons. Probably is not in this case (in the ballpark) as he turned the distributor to the stop and the ignition timing is still off. At which point it's time to tear into the cam timing.

It was never mentioned how far it's still off, or towards advance or retard - so, I'm still relying on clarivoyant skills to assist at this point. :)

Last edited:
Back