Cam gears?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
I just bought Skunk2 stage 1 tuner cams, mainly cause i have a limited budget especially to buy and install springs and retainers (not that i dont want to). I was wondering if it would be benificial to also buy their adjustable cam gears as well. Being lighter weight would help and would be easier to time, but would it be worth it for stage 1's? I dont have a problem with buying them but i just wanna know if its a waste or not?

even with stock cams its good to have acg to well tune your engine and squiz some ponys out of it

Yes, it's a good idea to get adjustable gears. You won't really see gains on a stock setup, but with aftermarket cams and a tune, you'll see a world of difference.

Got ya. Since its N/A keeping matched with the same brand is a good idea. Match the skunk2 cams with skunk2 gears?

Got ya. Since its N/A keeping matched with the same brand is a good idea. Match the skunk2 cams with skunk2 gears?

Actually, it doesn't really matter. There's no reason to keep everything "matching" for functionality's sake- it's all vanity. Skunk2 does make good cam gears though.

I have heard that, but also ive heard good and bad about their cams, researching it and they seem great. They are in alot of magazines like Modified and they are reliable. Some have told me they fail or break all the time.

You have to take that with a grain of salt. Improper installation, bad parts combination, bad tuning... it can all make a specific part seem bad when it really isn't.

Any aftermarket cam should come with a spec sheet that tells you what gears should be advanced/retarded to to get the most out of the cams.

go dyno man thats the way you will know for sure and get an ecu to mess with your maps if you are not sure how to do it get a pro the help you thats the way to go

personal i`ll go with blox or just get itr internals they are high lift cams and they have dual spring its a pretty good set-up ooohhh and get the itr v-tec solenoid to hear scream that thing

What would the solenoid change, i figured all the dohc vtec engines had the same solenoids?

Yes, they all need a normal VTEC solenoid to activate VTEC. There's no difference between them. An ITR solenoid won't do anything different for you than any other VTEC solenoid.

Makes sense. Ill get the gears, it was my plan anyway. Since i wont be using aftermarket springs or retainers is there any big risk to using this cam? Again i wont be taking the car any past 8k anyway and its still the stock rev limiter, the springs can handle it?

Ok thanks Blanco its keeping my paranoia down. I dont take the car past 8k at anytime really, Unless im not paying attention. Cam gears will be on the way soon.

hey about the dolenoide dont ask way but itr intrnals in your b16 head screams for some reason like i said its a good set up it maches your stage 1 cams and they are stock

If i ever have to do a head gasket change ill be sure to get itr springs, something to better keep up. Other than these cams i dont intend on anymore internals. Maybe a rail+injectors, TB, now that i have cams. Better rad (fins starting to flake off), maybe new intake manifold. Should be good now. Then the rest is to maintain the car. Just a nice high flowing B16.

Ya i was lookin at Skunk2 for the mani. Since the fuel wont seem to help any will a TB help?

You'll pick up a few ponies up top at the expense of a few down low, which is where a daily driven B16 can least afford to lose power.

:werd: The B16 really lacks the low-end grunt as compared to other B-series motors.

A good piece of advice:

Don't upgrade the throttle body, unless you're using forced induction, and a flow-bench has shown that the TB is the problem.

Back