1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Seal/ Vtec Solenoid Oil Leak

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by swanny, Jan 21, 2004.

1. swanny

swanny Senior Member

Ok, I got some oil dripping down the side of my block and im going through oil like its cool, and it appears to be from the Vtec solenoid/ cam seal area.
    My questions are as follows:
    1) Which is more common? Can I replace just the solenoid gasket or do I have to replace the whole assembly?
    2) To replace the cam seals; can I just pry them out and then take a rubber mallet to the new ones?
    3) Who should I get them from and what brands do you reccomend?

2. TWAN

TWAN Senior Member

If this is for a b series, you can replace the vtec spool valve gasket/filter, the Honda part number is 15825-P08-005. and the cam seals are somewhat prone to leak. if you replace it, take off the valve cover, remove the cam hold down plates, and then the cam journals, when you replace either part, apply a small amount of hondabond, and this should ensure they wont leak.

3. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

4. swanny

swanny Senior Member

Thanks. Any idea of what the torque specs are for the cam journal bolts? And would you reccomend using OE cam seals or aftermarket?

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

I have that happening, it's annoying, not really osingany significant amount of oil, so I am ignoring it for now.

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

use OE cam seals
    i have the tq specs in my helms at home, i should be able to make it home tonight and post them for you, unless someone else has theirs handy.

7. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

STR makes a good cam seal. I put one in my car and it works perfect. Its better than the OE one because it had double seals, and its colored metal insted of cheap plastic, that will probably begin to leak again. dont pry it out you have to remove valve cover, pull off oiling rail over the exhaust cam, and then remove the cam hold down piece. i have torque specs somewhere around here, but dont know where. its probably like 10-15ft lbs- thats what most 10mm bolts are. also use some rtv silicone gasket maker high temp when you do it, so it really wont leak.

8. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

cam cap torque specs for B series
    16lb-ft (bolt size 8x1.25 mm)
    EXCEPT
    the outermost 8 bolts (both sides, intake and exh)
    8lb-ft (bolt size 6x1.0 mm)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted