Cam Timing - gear alignment?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Doug2479

Hi All!
I have a zc block - stamped is:
ZC

The Head is stamped:
PM3-7

When I searched around I found that the PM3-7 head is off a dx with auto trans.

When I align the cam gear, should I align it with the 7o'clock mark and pointer on the inside of the cover.....
OR
Align the two marks on the cam gear even with the head?

I assume that since its a dx head, I would align with the 2 marks even.

..... of course I have confirmed TDC white mark with the #1 piston actually at TDC.
Thanks!

The cams should match the crank pulley, and nothing else. ignore anything on the head/valve cover. TDC on the crank pulley needs to match TDC on the cams too. Then, you can adjust with the bolts to tune.

Hi All!
I have a zc block - stamped is:
ZC

The Head is stamped:
PM3-7

When I searched around I found that the PM3-7 head is off a dx with auto trans.

When I align the cam gear, should I align it with the 7o'clock mark and pointer on the inside of the cover.....
OR
Align the two marks on the cam gear even with the head?

I assume that since its a dx head, I would align with the 2 marks even.

..... of course I have confirmed TDC white mark with the #1 piston actually at TDC.
Thanks!
align it same as the Si not the DX - DX, Si and SOHC ZC all use the same head castings - the camshafts are where the difference lies

Last edited:
So to verify for my personal understanding since I need to go and finish the timing belt on my stock 90 SI the mark / line at the 7 o'clock position on the cam gear should be pointing to the "arrow" on the crank gear. Correct?

There are two different ways the cam gear timing is set in relation to the crank. The crank is always set to TDC, the lone white mark on the crank aligned with the "gun site" style pointers on the timing belt cover. If its an SI the cam gear has a mark @ about 7 o'clock and it lines up with a different pointer on the inside of the timing cover at approx 7 o'clock. If its not the SI, then the look for the two horizontal marks and make them level with the surface of the head. And no matter what, the text "UP" on the cam gears is on the up side. Hope this helps.

Back