cam timing problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yellow88crx

I have an 88 crx si with a jdm b16a swap, obd0

due to some problems, my timing is way off and there is no reference to where it should be. I have adjustable cam gears right now (which are going to get sold) I am going to by some stock cam gears, after I get those, how do I fix the timing? I can find tdc on the crank, but how do I line up the cams?

there should be two marks on the side of the cam gear itself. Also an "UP" mark to indicated that it goes up. Once on the camshaft you need to make sure the 2 marks (lines) on the side of the cam gear are matching the levelled off part where your valve cover gasket goes.

I havent taken the cam gears off yet, I assume they only fit on one way? they arent sproketed like a steering wheel or anything like that?

on your adjustable cams there should be 2 lines on the outside ring where the teeth go..they should be at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock when the top mark is up..also on the inside of the camgears there should be alot of degree marks..if you want it dead on..put the outside marks level with the VC and then the inside marks to center

actually I decided to use this crx as my dd, an I am going to leave the b16 stock, so I am switching back to the stock cam gears and selling these. there is a lot of oil in the intake from the timing being off so much. should i pull the intake manifold and clean it? can I just use regular engine degreaser, or carb cleaner?

get it running good and seafoam the motor..if you are not familiar with seafome..pour half the bottle in your gas tank and then pull your brake booster hose and suck the rest into the motor,after it sucks the rest in,turn the car off for 10 minutes..after 10 minutes you can put the booster hose back on and start the car..now either take it for a drive(i wouldnt) or you can pull a vacuum hose so it has irradic idle..when the smoke clears up your all set

Back