Cam Torque

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I use a Torque Wrench

no shit

i currently have a torque wrench that the lowest setting is 10 lb

but the 6mm bolts only need 9lb

so i was wondering what torque wrench to get
i think 9 ft/lbs = 108 inch pounds

i guess what i mean is what kinda torque wrench do you guys use for cam specs

my friend said the last time he did it he used a 10 ft lb wrench and the cam was so tight the starter couldn't even turn the motor over... :blink:

Quoted post[/post]]
my friend said the last time he did it he used a 10 ft lb wrench and the cam was so tight the starter couldn't even turn the motor over... :blink:
he's bullshitting you because the very first time I put cams in, I hit them with an impact gun lol the guy drove around for about 3 months and came back for me to install some type r cams that he bought, luckily that time around I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.

try going to 10lbs, then go back a 1/4 turn

I have a pretty old torque wrench, it's a craftsman, that doesn't click, nor ratchet <-sp? but it has two bars that connect over the socket, one is a handle, the smaller a needle that measures on a small meter, it only goes up to like 85 lbs, but also does 1 lb/ft, but also 1 Nm.

i got a small craftsman that goes to 20 ft lbs and i got a larger new mastercraft that torques to 250. actually a pretty decent torque wrench for not having to buy a 500$ snap on one.

and for inch lbs to FT lbs, depending on what you are doing, divide or multiply by 12.

eg. 144inch lbs. 144 / 12 = 12ft lbs.

10 ft lbs x 12 = 120 inch lbs!

:)
happy torquing!

inch pound clicker torque wrench at sears was only 65 bucks

3/8 drive
25 to 250 inch pounds

Back