camaro vs b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blasterman87

stock 88 camaro iroc-z, stock 305 v8 with auto tranny. according to specs on the net it will do 15.7 in 1/4, i have 89 civic hb with jdm b16, and ls tranny (s1) gsr cams,i/h/e. should i be scared or what? dont wanna get laughed at..lol i just wanna know if these cars are really quick like people say?

Depends on how you drive it. I just walked all over a guy at a drag strip who had the exact same car as me with a much more powerful engine. He should have won given the numbers, but he didn't.

you should beat it. 305 is such a dog motor, no guts at all. but it has bigger valves then the 350, I never got that. they say it makes 190 hp but I they only seem like that have about 100

according to the specs i found, it has 170 hp and like 250tq, but its auto so idk i just dont wanna make a fool of myself..

It actually put down 170hp, but they respond very well to upgrades. Cleaning out the ash tray will net you 40hp. Its also pushing 255lb-ft of torque compared to the b16's ~118..

It also weighs a shit load more than your car does. There again, it is rear wheel drive and thus better set up for a drag race.

I think its more of a driver race than a car race.

thing that worries me is my damn ls tranny... ive never ran it agenst the same set up as mine with a b16 tranny to compare how much it holds me back

I didnt think a 305 camaro could beat anything, I've never seen one at the track that could run better then a 15

the 305s are real dogs, sure you can mod them and make them faster but it really is like working with a D series motor, your better off just ditching the whole thing and going with a 350

Theres no reason you shouldnt beat him unless you suck at driving.

If that guys got the right rear gearing he'll kill you off the line, and probably it'll be close from there. Even my shitty tbi 305 took off hard with an 02' SS 3.42 rear end.

Is there really that much of a difference? I was really shocked to find out that the 305 was the factory motor in an IROC, I thought it was supposed to be top performance?

If that guys got the right rear gearing he'll kill you off the line, and probably it'll be close from there. Even my shitty tbi 305 took off hard with an 02' SS 3.42 rear end.

Weird how torque makes something seem fast ;) same thing gearing wise can be said for the b16 whos to say he isnt running an SIR or type R tranny. EDIT read it again and hes running the LS tranny so that hurts, B16s and LS trannies should never be put together unless theres a turbo in the mix.

Does it really make that much of a difference a 305 and a 350? yes,
after changing heads, cam, and maybe pistons, the difference gets smaller....
Anyone going for speed ends up yanking the 305

Last edited:
Is there really that much of a difference? I was really shocked to find out that the 305 was the factory motor in an IROC, I thought it was supposed to be top performance?
There wholly different beasts. Everyone knows the boat anchor TBI 305. The HO and TPI actually had top end (for the era.) The TBI choked it down at 3000RPM. And the T5 tranny wasnt good enough to back a 350 so manuals got the 305. Obviously they mated them to some autos as well.

Weird how torque makes something seem fast ;)

Does it really make that much of a difference a 305 and a 350? yes,
after changing heads, cam, and maybe pistons, the difference gets smaller....
Anyone going for speed ends up yanking the 305
Im not saying its a great motor. Thats why my 305 was yanked for a 355. In this context, Im just saying with the right gearing that B16 could be in trouble. Id never pick a 305 over a 350, but Id possibly take it over this particular B16 in a race.

My friend had the same car (IROC) and rode in my car once (the same thing you have) and all he had to say was "Damn this thing moves!" Just a little bit of personal experience.

as long as the tranny is stock, i think you could beat it in a sohc civic with bolt ons

Back