Camber Kit Needed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

u might want to reset your computer since your speedometer will no doubt be off by probably 4-5 mph.

if the outside diameter of the tire is different it will be off regardless.... the ECU has no way of reseting this on its own.... you will need to bring it somewhere and have it recalibrated

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 5 2003, 10:37 PM
camber kits are a waste. jut buy new tires when needed :)

For those of us that aren't wallowing in extra money, a $90 camber kit sure beats buying new tires twice as often. :)

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 6 2003, 08:40 PM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 6 2003, 07:15 PM
pissedoffsol
@Jun 5 2003, 10:37 PM
camber kits are a waste. jut buy new tires when needed :)

For those of us that aren't wallowing in extra money, a $90 camber kit sure beats buying new tires twice as often. :)

Plus you have better handling, since you're riding around on the whole tread and not just the inner tread blocks.

:p :lol: :lol:

Don't you get better turning if you have some negative camber? Not as much traction I know but turning...

wouldnt the tire, when under cornering stresses, tend to "squidge" thereby forcing it onto the outside edge?
Would this not almost be like negative camber?

Pardon me its my first posting, but I am interested as I have installed HR sport springs and Bilsteins on my 95 Civic Si and am now changing to 205/50/15 (yoko AVS 100's) and have been told by a freind that I should get the camber kits.

Thank you

:worthy: :worthy: Flash

0 camber is not good ... but too much camber is not good either
if you are lowered to the point where you are wearing out tires in 1/2 the time or less you have bigger issues than the camber alone .... raise your damn car up some ... your geometry more than likely sucks ass and your getting dick for handling anyway

Originally posted by CMoney811@Jun 6 2003, 06:59 PM
u might want to reset your computer since your speedometer will no doubt be off by probably 4-5 mph.

Shouldn't be off that much, there is a calculator somewhere on the web, said me going from 14s to 17s would affect my speedometer so little I wouldnt be able to tell. Might have been at TireRack.com.com.... maybe not.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 6 2003, 08:00 PM
if the outside diameter of the tire is different it will be off regardless.... the ECU has no way of reseting this on its own.... you will need to bring it somewhere and have it recalibrated

^^^^^^^^^one more time resetting the ECU will do exactly NOTHING for your speedometer reading

think about it.........resetting the ecu doesnt change the fact that the speedo is set up for your stock rim/tire size. the ecu cant tell the difference between 14s and 17s. :bash: :bash: :bash:

I have 2 freinds that went from 13"s to 15"s and have no tire wear probs one of them lowered 1.5 inches and is still fine but watch your tires if you have a camber prob it will show fairly quick and then you can get one......best way to tell is to look

I got some Neuspeed Race springs in my 92 Civic Hatch and my camber readout is -3 Degrees in the Front. The rear is easy to fix. In order to deal with the Front problem, I installed a camber kit (Up to 3 Degrees of adjustability) and SPC Upper Ball joint kit (Up to 3 Degree of adjustability). Well, all would be well except the god damn Ball joint kit when pulled out for +3 Degrees of camber hit the inner fender wall. You are probably wondering why I even needed the ball joint kit....the reason is that the inner fender is in the way. Now I have to take my car to the body shop and get them to do some grinding....provided that they even can. I hate this car shit....always a friggin problem. However, if they can do some work to create some room for suspension travel, it will be awesome. I already have rad handling, after this is done it should be nutty!

I did not mean to steal this thread, I have just posted my experience.

Has anyone else been in this scenario?

Just get a friggin camber kit. From my personal experience, I had to keep replacing my tires often because I didn't have a camber kit. Tires are damn expensive. A camber kit will save you money in the long run. More than likely you can tell if your car has negative camber by just looking at it. I would recommend getting a ball joint camber kit from SPC because it's easy to install. Install it yourself and let a shop do all the adjustments(like toe, caster, and camber) for you. I just bought some tires all around and installed a camber kit about 10 months ago. I haven't had any problems since. It's better than replacing tires every 3-4 months. You don't really have to worry about getting a camber kit for the rear since they don't turn. Do yourself a favor and just get a camber kit when you drop your car.

Back