1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camber Kit Needed?

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by where eagles dare, Jun 5, 2003.

1. where eagles dare

where eagles dare Member

will i need a camber kit for that small of a change?

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:huh: :blink: :huh:
    its not wheel size that fucks up camber, its lowering too far

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

camber kits are a waste. jut buy new tires when needed :)

4. CMoney811

CMoney811 Banned

u might want to reset your computer since your speedometer will no doubt be off by probably 4-5 mph.

5. E_SolSi

if the outside diameter of the tire is different it will be off regardless.... the ECU has no way of reseting this on its own.... you will need to bring it somewhere and have it recalibrated

6. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

For those of us that aren't wallowing in extra money, a $90 camber kit sure beats buying new tires twice as often. :)

7. knowledge

knowledge Senior Member

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Plus you have better handling, since you're riding around on the whole tread and not just the inner tread blocks.

:p :lol: :lol:

9. knowledge

knowledge Senior Member

Listen to Professor-C! He is correct

10. SkorchedZero

SkorchedZero Member

Don't you get better turning if you have some negative camber? Not as much traction I know but turning...

11. FBARTNEK

FBARTNEK Junior Member

wouldnt the tire, when under cornering stresses, tend to "squidge" thereby forcing it onto the outside edge?
    Would this not almost be like negative camber?

Pardon me its my first posting, but I am interested as I have installed HR sport springs and Bilsteins on my 95 Civic Si and am now changing to 205/50/15 (yoko AVS 100's) and have been told by a freind that I should get the camber kits.

Thank you

:worthy: :worthy: Flash

12. E_SolSi

0 camber is not good ... but too much camber is not good either
    if you are lowered to the point where you are wearing out tires in 1/2 the time or less you have bigger issues than the camber alone .... raise your damn car up some ... your geometry more than likely sucks ass and your getting dick for handling anyway

13. halcyon985

halcyon985 Senior Member

Shouldn't be off that much, there is a calculator somewhere on the web, said me going from 14s to 17s would affect my speedometer so little I wouldnt be able to tell. Might have been at tirerack.com.... maybe not.

14. E_SolSi

^^^^^^^^^one more time resetting the ECU will do exactly NOTHING for your speedometer reading

15. tedwright

tedwright Senior Member

16. tedwright

tedwright Senior Member

think about it.........resetting the ecu doesnt change the fact that the speedo is set up for your stock rim/tire size. the ecu cant tell the difference between 14s and 17s. :bash: :bash: :bash:

17. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

I have 2 freinds that went from 13"s to 15"s and have no tire wear probs one of them lowered 1.5 inches and is still fine but watch your tires if you have a camber prob it will show fairly quick and then you can get one......best way to tell is to look

18. importimage

importimage Senior Member

I got some Neuspeed Race springs in my 92 Civic Hatch and my camber readout is -3 Degrees in the Front. The rear is easy to fix. In order to deal with the Front problem, I installed a camber kit (Up to 3 Degrees of adjustability) and SPC Upper Ball joint kit (Up to 3 Degree of adjustability). Well, all would be well except the god damn Ball joint kit when pulled out for +3 Degrees of camber hit the inner fender wall. You are probably wondering why I even needed the ball joint kit....the reason is that the inner fender is in the way. Now I have to take my car to the body shop and get them to do some grinding....provided that they even can. I hate this car shit....always a friggin problem. However, if they can do some work to create some room for suspension travel, it will be awesome. I already have rad handling, after this is done it should be nutty!

I did not mean to steal this thread, I have just posted my experience.

Has anyone else been in this scenario?

19. MarkJimenez99

MarkJimenez99 Senior Member

Just get a friggin camber kit. From my personal experience, I had to keep replacing my tires often because I didn't have a camber kit. Tires are damn expensive. A camber kit will save you money in the long run. More than likely you can tell if your car has negative camber by just looking at it. I would recommend getting a ball joint camber kit from SPC because it's easy to install. Install it yourself and let a shop do all the adjustments(like toe, caster, and camber) for you. I just bought some tires all around and installed a camber kit about 10 months ago. I haven't had any problems since. It's better than replacing tires every 3-4 months. You don't really have to worry about getting a camber kit for the rear since they don't turn. Do yourself a favor and just get a camber kit when you drop your car.

20. icedog75

icedog75 Junior Member

Where did you get your SPC products? I see from their web page they don't sell to the public.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted