1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cams Comparison

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by rsaeini, Apr 2, 2003.

1. rsaeini

rsaeini Senior Member

hello all,
    i'm in the process of getting some cams for my B16A2. I want to stick with OEM Honda cams. I was reading a few threads already in progress, I also read up on some stats and I have the following questions:
    -what are the differences between the 2 (i already know about the intake duration) ???
    -what kind of gains do each offer on a relatively stock B16 motor with i/h/e ?
    -how would the increase in intake duration on the ITR cam affect my power curve and output?
    -i know these cams will work with a stock valvetrain but would it better to upgrade to CTR or ITR valvetrain?

i welcome all inputs but make sure it's a valid comment that helps with my decision. Thank you all in advance for all your input and knowledge.

2. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i would def. put in the itr/ctr springs / retainers. and go with the ctr intake cam, itr exhaust cam. get some cam gears... dyno tune em...

i would bet that your b16 would put down like 150ish with intake / header / exhaust / cams

3. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

probably more than that, i put down 165 to the wheels with ctr cams, with the help of a vafc, and around .3 higher compression ratio. i only think springs/retainers are necessary if you're raising your rev limit from stock.

4. pills_PMD

see i'd have to say probably less than that, because i put down 164 with the cams and hondata . again too many factors to consider.. we'll have to meet somewhere in the middle 155-160!

5. rsaeini

rsaeini Senior Member

well I was planning on upgrading to either the CTR/ITR springs/retainer cuz I plan on raising the rev limiter once I build it.
    What kind of cam gears do you guys use? I used to have AEM on my D16. I've heard they're not very good. This time around I was thinking about Skunk2, any thoughts.

6. pills_PMD

i have skunk2 ones. i had a bolt fall out of it and shred my timing belt. but that isn't a common thing.. i just didn't think i'd need to retighten them after i did it once... but either way.. nice gear though

7. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i use the skunk2 gears as well, although i have not had the horrific experience pills had (thank god) i do like these gears. i have had none of the bolts come remotely loose, but now that i think about your story again pills, i think i'm going to go check them now :)

8. rsaeini

rsaeini Senior Member

thanks for the info guys. :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted