cams dilemma

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

hey,
i'm looking to buy a new set of cams and i read that RS Machines vtec cams made nice numbers on the dyno, some say m24e's make the highest, and some swear by skunk2's.

Experienced engine builders help me out...i don't know which one would be the most beneficial to me.

my setup:
jdm b18c spec r block
84.5mm bored, 12:9:1 slugs
stock b16a head
skunk2 intake mani
intake/header/open exhaustm etc.

thanks
chris

all i can find:
RS: 472 lift 270 duration
m24e: 12.7 lift 303 duration

472 lift??? (got it from h-t)

dyno7.4.03.jpg

Stock bore GSR w/ ITR pistons, RS Cams, RS valvetrain, RS p/p head, skunk2 IM, 2.5" exhaust, hondata, RC 440 injectors.

...??

Check out Crower.com. They just came out with some new cams for the GSR motor and they are proven by the dyno.

I personally would never buy any Skunk2 cam.
RS and Rocket both know what they're doing. The lift spec for the RS cam is obviously wrong (or at least not in the same units as the RM cam). You might want to really examine your goals for the motor. M24E cams in a GSR (even a 2L GSR) is going to be a pretty high-end power type setup. I was recommended M22 or M23s for a friend's street 1.8L GSR by Rocket for the simple reason that the lumpier cams don't have as much midrange, but they make up for it on the high end.

So, in summary, I can't talk shit about RS because they do *really* good machine work and I've never used their cams. I have a set of RM cams in my car, and I have a lot of faith in the cam/valvetrain packages Rocket puts together.

I don't know why the fuck people bash on Skunk2 all the time. It makes me mad. I have personally worked on cars using Skunk2 cams and valvetrain and they make awesome power on the dyno and are very fast. My buddy Zac had an SiRII in his '93 sedan that had the S2 manifold and a short ram intake. With the stage 2's and accompanying valvetrain installed and a JG header he put down 184 to the wheels at around 8700 rpms. That's very good for a B16 with not too much invested and not a lot of work at all. That car was decently quick, torqueless, but it did make good power.

Overall, I like skunk2 a lot and their cams make great power and are reliable. I am on the fence about doing a turbo build for my car or an allmotor build and if i choose all motor, it's either Jun 3's or Skunk2 2's for me.

<captain obvious>stage 3's are bigger</captain>

stage 3's will make power till 10k
stage 2s will to about 8500-ish

Originally posted by word@Jun 4 2004, 08:35 PM
all i can find:
RS: 472 lift 270 duration
m24e: 12.7 lift 303 duration

472 lift??? (got it from h-t)

its probally .472in???

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 7 2004, 01:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: thanks, of course that was obvious.

i was trying to ask for detrimental aspects of those cams....because of course if they make all the power everyone would have them instead of stage 2's.

idling? not sure, it seems like skunk2 3's are the weapon of choice as of now.

tell me more.... :worthy:

only go with s2s3 if its a race only car, or if you like disassembling the head and changing valvetrain often

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 7 2004, 11:38 AM

Stage 2's make power a few hundred rpm higher than that. They usually peak out around 8650-8800. They are good streetable cams though. The Stage 3's are fuckign insane, it's not even funny. And yeah, don't use the stage 3's for your street car unless you want to pull your head every oil change and inspect the valvetrain.

DO NOT USE S2 3's THEN!!!

Just some advice, lol. They are overkill for a daily driver and require tremendous compression to take advantage of. Stage 2's will make 240 easily is you get good high comp pistons and tune with Hondata or Uberdata. Just make sure the rest of your parts are up to par as well, good cai, good intake manny, headwork, and a nice header like smsp.

My complaints with Skunk2 are based on two things:

1. Value - I think Skunk2 gets away with overpricing a lot of their gear because of their practically household name status.
2. Valvetrain - A good friend of mine's clique all run Euro Type R motors - B18C6 - with skunk2 stage2 cams and skunk2 valvetrain. After 2.5 years, one out of six doesn't have a blown motor, and he was using Ferrea springs + retainers NOT Skunk2. This isn't the only case of excessive wear causing premature retainer failure from Skunk2 either. The RM parts haven't been on the market as long so who knows what the deal with them is going to be in a year or two...

Back