Cams for boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
is it worth it to invest in aftermarket turbo/supercharger cams for my JRSC build?

i have researched it to death and no one seems to have any idea, or at least any actual experience or proof of how they work with the supercharger. on the jackson racing website High Performance Parts and Accessories at JacksonRacing.com they suggest that their kits work best with the stock cams for each application.

the only evidence ive found on the jrsc website and in google searches were of people changing cams to type r cams in a b16a or gsr. the results seem to be mediocre. but those cams are made for all motor with lots of overlap so its no big surprise. i just wonder why no one tries boost cams with their supercharger.

so i want to know what you smart guys have to say about all this. seems to me that cams that are made for boost would work well with JRSC right?

I'd expect to see some decent gains from a turbo cam on a supercharged setup. Turbo and superchargers are closely related, they do the same thing just in a different way. I can't see how more overlap would be good for superchargers but not turbochargers, either way you're just forcing air/fuel through the engine.

I say go for it.

thanks matt :thumbsup: anyone else have any opinions??

im seriously thinking about it.... i already have crower springs and retainers in my head so all i need is cams.

although it might be cost prohibitive, it would be very interesting to tune it on the stock b16a cams first and then run it with some boost cams to see the difference. thats the problem with just buying some boost cams and dyno tuning them... i wont really know if they are helping me or not. i cant even find anyone else who has put a jrsc on a b20/vtec so theres not much info out there.

When I had my built motor I thought about going with some cams. but, it never made sense, why spend money on cams plus labor when turning up the boost earned much bigger gains. In the end I never went with cams and I believe the new owner also never went with cams, even when making near 600WHP.

In your car since the JRSC really isnt a big power maker, cams might make more sense, then again, redoing your engine to handle more power and changing out the pully would make a lot more sense to me.

i am rebuilding the engine, i already have most of the parts. cp pistons, eagle rods, all new bearings, balanced and blue printed, everything it needs its getting. im taking the block to a reputable race shop (they build all the engines for Mosler) and having them go through everything and assembling it for me. i have the 10lb pulley already and that is most the jrsc can make without getting too hot. i will probably get a LHT aftercooler once i get bored with it.

i cant decide what im going to do. maybe ill just stick with stock cams for now, see what kind of power it makes. once i get bored i can get some cams and the aftercooler and retune.

I would recomend some cames it never hurts. turning up the boos will get you more poweer but it also creates more heat and makes the engine have to work that much harder.

High lift short duration cams should be what your after. Use adjustable cam gears to dial your overlap appropriately.

Back