1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camshaft bolt

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by rheyx, Sep 8, 2004.

1. rheyx

rheyx Junior Member

im trying to remove the bolt of the camshaft pulley.. can anyone help.. everytime i hammer the handle of the socket wrech the camshaft pulley goes with the direction.i tried to put something to hold the camshaft but somethings holding the bold. anyway the engine im working with is a 91 HF , 1.5 L

2. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

leave the car in gear and block the wheels leave the timing belt on and away you go or use an impact wrench

3. rheyx

rheyx Junior Member

how do i do this if the motor is already taken out the car? does it make the job harder?

4. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

5. rheyx

rheyx Junior Member

well i didnt touch the timing belt coz you cant get the timing belt without getting the crankshaft pulley. i already tried that but it seems somethings holding the bolt maybe this will be buying a crankshaft pulley tool would be my next step

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

i've done something similar, but put the car in like 5th gear instead of using the breaker bar. (obviously can't do that if its on an engine stand) but same idea. also, with the belt on, put your hand on top of the belt on the top of the gears, because the belt can still jump if you dont put your weight onto it.

7. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

on b series engines, there is a hole in the cam cover. with the engine at TDC on cylinder #1 that hole lines up with another hole on the cam itself. stick a drill bit in there (make sure it just fits, you dont want to snap the bit) and that should hold the cam still while you break free the bolt on the cam pulley.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted