Camshaft Break-in

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigDave

I recently had some new Crower 403's put in my Integra and have a few questions about break-in period.

First I have synthetic oil in my car now. It wasn't until after the cams were installed that I read that you should not use Synthetic oil during the break-in period. Will this damage the cams if I continue to use synthetic oil? Should I do an oil change and put regular petroleum based oil in my car now? It currently has about 22 miles on the new cams. Can I change from synthetic to petroluem based oil?

Any help is appreciated

Switch to non-detergent dino oil for the first 1000 miles or so
Let the car idle for 20 minutes
Don't drive real hard
Adjust valves

I beleive that the non-synthetic oil thing is only for breaking in of rings, as the synthenic oil molecules don't allow for a good "bite" into the cylinder walls by the rings. I think you should be ok for your cams.

yes, there is no break in for cams. install them, set the lash, and have fun.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Oct 8 2004, 01:16 PM
I beleive that the non-synthetic oil thing is only for breaking in of rings, as the synthenic oil molecules don't allow for a good "bite" into the cylinder walls by the rings. I think you should be ok for your cams.
[post=400122]Quoted post[/post]​

Crower suggest that the cams be broke in with regualr oil. I just don't know if it will damage anything if I run synthetic. I think tomorrow I will just do an oil change and run regular oil for about 500-1k and then change back to synthetic. :shrug2:

install, set lash, idle for 10-20 min, drive around for about 400 miles, let engine cool, set valve-lash again, check for abnormal wear on camshaft, bearings, and rocker assembly, maybe swap oil if you want, then.......let it rip!!!!

i believe that's how you're supposed to do it. what do i know i only have a 12 sec all motor sohc

hahaha j/k.

Back