CAMSHAFT lift and clearances = BOOM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I am going Skunk 2 internals

camshafts
cam gears
Valves
Valve Springs
Retainers

My questions are the following:

1) Is there anythin else I need for the head internals?

2) If I do this to the head, what if I clay it and don't have the clearances? What would be the next step to clear the pistons?

3) I have je 12:1 cr pistons and I know the potential of the skunk 2 is in the upper rpms, how high of a rev can i safetly obtain with a stock b20b block with the 12:1 pistons and skunk 2 head? What can I do to be able to safely rev higher and how much?

4) With this setup will my car still be reliable. AKA I read the skunk2 stage 3 cams and it says to check the head every oil change and make sure everythign is still there.

5) What could you run with this setup in the 1/4. B20b block, je 12:1 pistons, b16 head with skunk 2 internals, hondata tuned, obd2-1, greddy exhaust, dc header.

Thanks for any and all help

Khai

1.) ditch the skunk2 valves for something better, hell oem would be better.

2.) if you clay and it doesn't clear, you either change pistons with deeper reliefs or cams with less lift. (they should clear with JE pistons)

3.) i wouldn't go past 9k, what rods will you be using?

4.) skunk2 stage3's are very aggressive, they will eat away at themselves and your rocker arms.

5.) you would either have to build it yourself and see or ask the almighty lord.

IMO, 12:1 is not high enough for stage 3 cams. you'd want to be at LEAST in the low-to-mid 13:1's for a stage 3.

Toda B's or skunk2 stage 2's would offer you more of what you want at a nice pump gas 12:1 ratio

revving the b20 bottom end to 9k on stock rods is asking for trouble over time- but a pull here or there sholdn't matter. it really comes down to how you drive it.

What do you guys recommend i rev to normally with the b20 block? What should i do to make it more reliable? sleeves? You guys mentioned not getting the skunk 2 valves?

What is actaully necessary to run skunk2 stage 2 cams? Do I only need the valve springs? or the retainers, and new valves too? Will skunk2 stage 2 be ok for a daily driver, no problems in the long run as opposed to the stage 3 where i need to check to make sure everything is there. I mean will my motor be crap after awhile with the stage 2s?

Thanks
Khai

Don't bother with aftermarket valves at all. To run the Skunk2 stage 2's, all you need is their springs and retainers. I think modacar.com has a pretty sweet Skunk2 power package with everything you need plus a new cam seal, cam sprockets and high-strength timing belt for like $1500, which is IMO a very good deal. Check them out.

personally i would not rev that b20 past 7 unless you want to snap a rod in half. I have a friend that used to rev his b20 to 9 and he is still looking for his spark plugs.

thats why i put "what rods?" when i said 9k :)

I am using stock rods. What should i set redline at as a daily reliable driver and is it a waste to do the setup i am planning, skunk 2 stage 2 camshaft and valves or will i still see some good low, mid power?

Khai

How much can i get some good stronger rods for and what kind? Is there anything else i can do if it doesn't clear, besides buy new pistons or camshafts? Are Arias pistons pretty good?

KHai

Whats the best camshafts for good low-mid range power and a good vtec kick, w redline limit at 8000

Khai

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Feb 24 2004, 04:28 PM
Whats the best camshafts for good low-mid range power and a good vtec kick, w redline limit at 8000

Khai

CTR cams, hands down if you're staying with an 8000 RPM redline. However, you should still get some nice forged rods just for insurance. The Toda B's have great midrange, but it's a waste of money to get them if you won't see revs past 8k anyway.

Also, WTF do you want VTEC kick? If it's tuned well it should be a smooth crossover with a nice linear curve so as to achieve the smoothest and broadest power band possible.

So not thinking about a waste of money, the ctr cams would feel stronger than the skunk2 in the low-mid range? How much better are the ctr over the b16s, sis?

Khai

if you're replacing pistons you might as well replace the rods too.. like stated before good insurance and you'll be able to see more potential from the motor.

if your not gonna make your bottom end handle rpm's above 8200, what's the point of getting stage 2 cams that make power all the way past 8800 rpm's. that's a complete waste and would also be useless power.

Originally posted by B16@Feb 25 2004, 02:24 AM
if you're replacing pistons you might as well replace the rods too.. like stated before good insurance and you'll be able to see more potential from the motor.

:withstupid: get some eagles for a few hundred. could save your engine.

Here is the thing. I already have the Pistons in. I can get the skunk2 setup for almost the same price as the CTR setup. So I don't have much money and I know the skunk2 is better, but what would be better only up to 8000. I know the skunk2 is overboard, but for the same price and going only up to 8000 rpms what would be stronger? Also how much are eagle rods? And how much to install?

Khai

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Feb 25 2004, 08:25 AM
Here is the thing. I already have the Pistons in. I can get the skunk2 setup for almost the same price as the CTR setup. So I don't have much money and I know the skunk2 is better, but what would be better only up to 8000. I know the skunk2 is overboard, but for the same price and going only up to 8000 rpms what would be stronger? Also how much are eagle rods? And how much to install?

Khai

Just get CTR. They will feel better in the midrange for about a thousand RPM after VTEC crosses over because they are not as wild as the S2 2's.

Back