camshaft

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

I want to know if there is a real big difference in a stage 1 cam to a stage 2. Im putting this in a 1.6 SOHC VTEC and i want to know if i should get the stage 2 instead of the stage 1. there about the same amount of money but i know i have to get springs and retainers for the stage 2 as well. The only thing im not sure of is that many people say my idle is gonna be like shit with a stage 2 cam. This is a daily driver and i dont want it to ride like crap. also with a stage 1 do i need springs and retainers?

If you want to know im going all ZEX on these

still no help c'mon guys ur slacking this week

you dont need springs/retainers with the stage 1...

i'd go stage 2 all the way... get the springs/retainers .. you need all the help you can get with your single cam..

i agreee... go stage 2 all the way.. and your gonna definately need to up grade your valvetrain..... good luck :)

if you're going to do it, do it right the first time... go with the stage 2 and upgrade the valvetrain. hell, why not have the head worked a little bit too.

with the stage 2 cam will my idle be all fucked up? This is a daily driver. also is the power gains significantly more than stage 1?

if tuned properly your idle will be fine
theres people running toda Cs and Jun 3s that idle fine
tuning tuning tuning

Originally posted by DTEC@Jul 14 2003, 03:54 PM
hell, why not have the head worked a little bit too.

extrude honing...............I want

cool!! what about the power difference is it worth the extra $500 for the springs and retainers? Also would it be smart to get new valves or are the stock ones fine for my application? (i/h/e) I went to the shop the other day andd found out that a port and polish can be done for $400 but is that a good price?

the springs and retianers are to let you increase rpm's,if your tune gives power at the high end then yes, worth it.your stock valves are very good and breathe well but if you go for a port and polish ask whoever does it if they think you need bigger valves most likely no but it will depend on the p-n-p.Make very sure someone worthy does a p-n-p for you as it is much easier to do harm than good,extrude honing is a very impressive process but I have no idea of the cost as compared to a good p-n-p.as far as the p-n-p price goes it all depends on quality,get lots of references,actually talk to those ref's if you can and use your judgement.

the more you have the more you will notice a good p-n-p so I would build most everything else first unless you are having airflow probs already,Hondas have kick ass heads as far as stock can be concerned.

EDIT..if you get the springs and retianers it's best to buy valves also but not bigger just made of better stuff

Just read an article and saw a whopping 3 whp gain from the Zex cam.

Milan

curious did it say what else was done and if it was running nitrous?I would think a mostly nitrous company's cam was meant for gains under juice....dont know just seems weak,maybe it is

Originally posted by deth101@Jul 15 2003, 12:34 AM
curious did it say what else was done and if it was running nitrous?I would think a mostly nitrous company's cam was meant for gains under juice....dont know just seems weak,maybe it is

thats the thing... theyre not just a nitrous company. zex is made by COMP CAMS. its their way of relating to the import world through a different name. they have been making/grinding cams for a long time now. their stg 2 b-series vtec cams made +19 hp to the wheels on an unmodified gsr motor. i have the same cams in my hatch now witha b16 and they are sooo fucking nice.

ahaahhha,you learn somethin almost every day...any idea what your gain is on the b16...I'll be buying cams soon and would love to know some non-factory #'s

yeah i have heard that those zex cams make from 7-9 whp

Back