camshaft?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rcmaniac623

hi, sorry for this dumb question. im new at the engine thing. alright, so this guy gave me a zc camshaft and a cam gear to put in my d16y8 engine. how do i turn the crank of the motor so that timing belt is aligned? idk if that makes sence. my friend and i r doin it ourselves, he know more than me but hasnt really worked with honda and such. thanks.

use the crank pulley bolt and turn it clock-wise with a socket and breaker bar set up/ preferably on half inch drive.

wait, okok, i got. is the pulley that one bolt on the left sid of the car. its the only one i see. thats sticking out

i read that marking the teeths are ok? so is that okay to do? as long as i mark it right?
you can mark the direction of the belt so that you put it back on the same way if youre using the same belt (you should just put a new one since youre here). you can mark the teeth with a marker although i dont know anyone who needs to do this. there are markings on the pulley and block/oil pump for timing. and the cap pulley as well. some cars even require you to time the oil pump. line all those up, set the tensioner and rotate the engine a full turn and youre good. the crank plley bolt is in the left wheel housing in the center of the pulley you see in there. if you cant figure this out though -no dis-respect intended-you shuld get someone who knows to help you. timing is critical

Which ZC is the cam from? Some ZCs aren't vtec and thus won't work in a Y8 head.

it works. just finished swapping it. the thing is... i might put back the stock one. im tryin to research bout the timing or sumthing. i have no low end torque whatsoever. it just sits their when i gas it all the way. not too fun. hit vtec damn well tho. idk what to do guys. maybe belt timing? IDK!!! im so pissed. lol.

it works. just finished swapping it. the thing is... i might put back the stock one. im tryin to research bout the timing or sumthing. i have no low end torque whatsoever. it just sits their when i gas it all the way. not too fun. hit vtec damn well tho. idk what to do guys. maybe belt timing? IDK!!! im so pissed. lol.
is it a manual transmission? i dont wanna over look this given the history of the post in this thread

yes, its a manual transmission. all ive been finding was timing and getting an adjustable cam gear. its really bad tho. no torque till maybe 4k. then vtec kick at 5500, which feels stronger btw, and kinda late. wish i had torque....... illl prolly end up changin it back tho..

It is not a timing belt issue....if you were off a tooth or so....you'd know. Not sure on the specs for the non-vtec lobe comparison of the two camshafts (which is the lobes where you say no torque) but I would bet that they are simply 2 different cam profiles.

Back