can a radiator flush help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I just installed an engine block heater and a new OEM thermostat in my engine yesterday and flushed the radiator and the coolant system and refilled and bled it and all that crap

today I started her up to drive to work and the whole car seems to run smoother. maybe it is just an illusion or something but it really did seem to make the car run better

could it be that the system hadn't been bled properly before? (by my mechanic)
or that the thermostat was just a piece of junk and causing things to be strange?

any thoughts on this would be great

Sean

The only thing the engine really does besides make the coolant hot it turn the water pump. Unless you had TONS of crap in the coolant it wont effect the engines performance. If your mechanic didnt bother to bleed the coolant system, the engine would have bled out all the air in a day or so of nornal driving by itself.

And no the rad flush wont help you emissions rudelude :D . Really the only need to flush the coolant is if youve done work on the car that could get crap in the coolant, you know there is crap in the coolant or you want to sell the car and want you coolant to be clean and pretty.

:cliffs:

no

cool, just thought maybe it was connected somehow cause my car does seem to be running smoother all around
must be an "ass dyno" sort of thing

:cliffs:

flushing my radiator and changing my thermostat gave me a 30% increase in horsepower*

* based on results of the FTL Ass Dyno

If your car was not running at it's optimal temperature, or if there was some sort of parasitic drag on your water pump, then it could make a difference.

It's possible that your coolant is flowing better and not heating up your intake as much. Enjoy your 30%, even if it's not real. We're all just jealous. I'll take a fake 30% just as quick as the next guy. As long as it puts a grin on my face. :p

Back