Can an actual emissions expert explain VA emissions to me please?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thewraith

Northern VA has some pretty strict emissions regulations. They basically take any obd2 car and hook it up to a scanner. If the ECU passes, then the car passes emissions.

My problem is that I don't know exactly how/what is checked. I want to do a swap on my car, but my car is a 2000. I would like to swap an obd1 engine into the car. I know that one must swap a newer engine into their car if doing a swap. A newer engine swap would cost me about $4k. But my question is this:

If I were to swap an obd1.engine into my car and get all the wiring straight, would I pass VA emissions? What is checked when the ECU is plugged into the emissions machine? Will I be ok as long as the obd2 tester throws no codes?

depends how strict they are
CA goes through every sensor and piece of emissions equipment and checks them all

i think most states just look for a CEL
you will need to run an OBD2 ecu, so the motor needs to be retro-fitted
you might run into problems with the distributor and crank sensor, since OBD1 blocks don't have a crank sensor

there are some work arounds but i don't know them off hand

I've always wanted to put a repeater/recorder in between the ECU and scan tool when they test a car... See what they're looking for and what the ECU responds with... and reprogram to always return that result no matter what.

I've always wanted to put a repeater/recorder in between the ECU and scan tool when they test a car... See what they're looking for and what the ECU responds with... and reprogram to always return that result no matter what.
i'll buy that from you

Also, FTW

TheWraith.jpg

you won't pass. end of discussion.

obd2 scan needs obd2 emissions equipment that obd1 doesn't have.

spend the cash, or buy a 92-95 chassis

Connecticuts emissions is AWESOME. It's there, but I don't think you're required to do it at all.

Seriously, haven't been to emissions since 1997.

well, then you're registration is probably suspended. hope you don't get pulled over. :)

emissions is required to get a new plate for a new (to you) car. you can fail once and go again free. you still get your plate. then you have 2 years on that reg.
if you don't pass before those 2 years are up, you cannot renew your reg/plates.

unless all your cars are pre-1976, or bought from a dealer within 2 years, you're probably illegal.

When I registered the Peugeot in December, they said "Emissions is no longer reported the DMV, and you'll get a letter in the mail about it. If you don't do it, they'll just get you when you are pulled over or stopped at a DMV inspection roadside check". I still have no such mail.

I've been through all the stages of emissions, I got it done for a car that was being sold at the dealer I worked at, but not on my own for a REAL long time.

move outta NoVa and go to southern Virginia where they dont have emissions check....lol.

I haven't been to the new emissions in CT. I took my swapped Civic in the day before the original closed and failed. Out of the 8 vehicles I have owned since m Civic (about 2002) I haven't had to go. The key is to buy a new car, no emissions for 4 years. Right now owning a vehicle for 21 months is a long time for me, I think I might have to go trade my truck in for an 09.

Back